Is This Electrician Trying To Rip Me Off? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this electrician trying to rip me off?

The reason I'm asking is because it sounded to me as if he was just making prices up. He kept changing his prices from one thing to another, just adding $50 here or $100 there.

I'm immigrating so I don't *really* yet know labour costs etc. That's why I'm checking here.

Here are some price quotes with specifics.

1. FPE breaker box: Replace 3 breakers - $450.
2. (OR) Replace FPE breaker box (100 AMP) with newer type (100 AMP). - $900.
3. Three GFCI outlets in the kitchen (converted from non GFCI) - $225.
4. There is a GFCI in the bathoom but when it trips the lounge ceiling fan also goed, so these need to be seperated using the same plug but that it not trip the ceiling fan - $75.
5. Grease outside aluminum wires - $50.
6. Add a switch for the dishwasher outlet that's usable above the dishwasher to turn it on/off - $150.

Let me know

Thanks for all replies

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

• Prices Not All Bad! Panel change good .The only thing i would try to get him to throw in the #5. Grease outside aluminum wires - $50. thats all i can find. Everything else looks about right.

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,326

#2 sounds like a great price!!
The rest seem inline with what I would preceive the work to be.

Is he licensed and insured?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 268

Not sure where you're located, but for Long Island, NY those would be steals!

I will say that #3 is likely a DIY job (if you're comfortable w/that), I don't see a problem w/#4, the GFCI breaks and the ceiling fan goes out, so what? That shouldn't happen often, or you have a larger problem. And I'm not sure I understand #6, you want to add a switch to your dishwasher?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

#3 seems a bit high to me; 3 GFCIs for $225? That's $70 each for a $10 part and five minutes of labor a piece. Perhaps the cover plates are pricey?
#1 also seems high for the same reason. About 5 minutes per breaker labor. You didn't state what kind of breakers are being replaced so the parts' cost could be a bit higher. Still, at $150 per breaker, I'd do that job all day long.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
#3 seems a bit high to me; 3 GFCIs for $225? That's $70 each for a $10 part and five minutes of labor a piece. Perhaps the cover plates are pricey?
#1 also seems high for the same reason. About 5 minutes per breaker labor. You didn't state what kind of breakers are being replaced so the parts' cost could be a bit higher. Still, at $150 per breaker, I'd do that job all day long.
It's not the price of the material! It's the price of Running a Business! Time,Gas,Insurance, so on......
Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #7

We're located in Houston, TX.

Is $900 really a good price to replace it?

#3 for DIY - Yes I'm comfortable with that. Turn off at the breakers and test for current and then replace. Should be fine. It's just an outlet that I need to buy and put on right?

#6 Dishwasher switch - This seems like a "code" thing. The dishwasher should be able to be turned off from a visible point for servicing.

#1 The breakers aren't made any more so it's hard to get the parts.

What I really want to know is if #2, the bigger expense is priced correctly. Maybe I should just give some electricians a call locally and find out.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd swap out the panel
Get 3 estimates & check references is the normal path to follow

If there is ANY chance you will upgrade to a 200a feed look into having a 200a panel installed
You can still have it fed with the 100a

I'd ask the cost difference between a 100a & 200a panel
--only the panel - not a service upgrade
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tertius View Post
The reason I'm asking is because it sounded to me as if he was just making prices up. He kept changing his prices from one thing to another, just adding $50 here or $100 there.

I'm immigrating so I don't *really* yet know labour costs etc. That's why I'm checking here.

Here are some price quotes with specifics.

1. FPE breaker box: Replace 3 breakers - $450.
2. (OR) Replace FPE breaker box (100 AMP) with newer type (100 AMP). - $900.
3. Three GFCI outlets in the kitchen (converted from non GFCI) - $225.
4. There is a GFCI in the bathoom but when it trips the lounge ceiling fan also goed, so these need to be seperated using the same plug but that it not trip the ceiling fan - $75.
5. Grease outside aluminum wires - $50.
6. Add a switch for the dishwasher outlet that's usable above the dishwasher to turn it on/off - $150.

Let me know

Thanks for all replies
Here is my run down from my point of bussiness which I done all the time and keep in your mind my price is up in northen plains the price may be different than what you have in Texas is.

#1 ditch the FPE breakers they are not worth a hoot to find them.

#2 that pretty cheap price compared what I charge my 100 amp service upgrading will included new meter socket and riser if overhead.

#3 that little high but I don't know what the labour rate in Texas going on { see my comment on the bottom }

#4 it may have local code issue with the set up with it but with general lighting circuit useally not GFCI unless stated in the NEC code in spefic area.

#5 That question kinda bother me { see below comment }

#6 That is mantory code requirement if your dishwasher do not have " off " marking on the timer dail or touch button control { that mantory automatic switch requirement }

Now for the #3 comment part if you are very able you can able install the GFCI yourself or let a electrician do this for you but that price I kinda hard to say but you have to understand that all the legit electrician have to pay for permit and some will included the list price in there and some will listed seperated mine part it automatic included permit fees in there.

The other part about greasing alum conductors some case yes and some case no just replace it as you will see why if you upgrade the panel.

For me useing the 200 amp panel with 100 amp service that is not a very good combation to use at all unless you have backfeeded locked down 100amp breaker next to it.

Most homeowner I deal most useally asked me to go with 200 amp without second thought after I qouted the price between the two diffrent size and also it will help the house resale value a bit.

And I don't know why the electrician did not mention few more details in the list like new grounding conductor and new ground rods that is my SOP to do that all the time. { that will included the price list }

Finally my last part here to advoid any conflects with price I will not list the price in here per DIY fourm regulations.

Merci,Marc
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #10

We're getting a condo so there is very little chance that we will be upgrading to 200a.

#5 is for outside the condo not inside the panel in the condo.

About #6: Can you show me the code requirement for it so that I can read it myself?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Speaking of condo that will be little more tougher but do you have any type of condo assocations that do help with this matter ?
{ sorry for getting off track for a minute but suggest a idea it may help you on something }

Speaking of dishwasher switch I know it is in NEC code but excat art number which I don't recall it due I left the NEC code book at the shop.

I know one of our readers here is electrician and I think they will be more than happy to cite you a code number to you look up with it.

Some will be on 2005 and some willbe on 2008 code myself I am on 2008 plus French code as well.

Merci,Marc
Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #12

This is a DIY site, and isn't a suitable forum for seeking answers regarding the value of contractors' prices to do work in your home. When in doubt, it is always best to get multiple bids for the work.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,326

If it was wired to code when the condo was built, I don't think that the disconnect switch for the dishwasher will be required.
Of course, local codes may vary.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #14

Thanks thekctermite. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

The condo was built in 1984 so it was probably to code then, it's not up to code right now.

@frenchelectrican: I don't think we'll ever need 200A so I'm not even worrying about this.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by tertius View Post
The condo was built in 1984 so it was probably to code then, it's not up to code right now.
Remember, the code tells you how you should have to build something today, it doesn't say you need to retrofit your house to meet today's code (thank god). Of course there's nothing wrong with doing so, especially if you're a bored DIYer but don't feel compelled to upgrade something just because it's not now up to code -- serious safety issues not withstanding.

Advertisement

Closed Thread