Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electrician OR ??

I am wanting to have computer networking wiring throughout an existing structure. I also need to have cable tv outlets added at the same time.
I am wanting (2) network connections in each room, total of (8) rooms,
same with the cable outlets. I realize I will have to have some type of cable tv distribution box in attic with amplifiers and such.

Was having a hard time finding TV type installers and someone suggested to me to get an electrician? I didn't think an electrician would do this type of work, thus my question, do they? Electricians are easy to find and it seems like the TV guys are not 100% with the networking stuff?

Thanks!

pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Electrician OR ??

Most competent electricians will do data/telco/CATV wiring.

I do all of that for residential and commercial customers. I'll set up racks and install equipment too. I'll even set up networks for resi customers. Commercial places always have an IT guy.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Electrician OR ??

Look for "Data Communications" or "Computer Networking" companies.
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Electrician OR ??

An electrician (of the right type*) will have tools and experience running wires in existing walls. So the finished job will look nicer, wires hidden. Or will have a lot of experience with conduit, so if conduit is run on outside walls, it will look nicer.

*Some electricians may only do new construction or only commercial/business work.

Some cable TV types do some pretty ugly looking "exposed" wiring!

Whoever you hire, first ask if they have a "d'versibit". If they do not know what that is, find someone else.

A d'versibit is a 5 foot long drill bit used to drill and then pull wires inside of existing walls. Like this...
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/greenlee/hole_making.asp
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 88

Electrician OR ??

I would do it yourself, so that you know how to do it, and can take pride that you did it. Pulling Coax & ethernet is not that hard. Terminating the ends is not that hard also. So easy that a 4 year old can do it.

To add, it will cost you anywhere from $75 to $120 per drop. That means if you have two coax & two ethernet per wall plate, you are spending some money that you can save & use elsewhere.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote