Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical work in Branford, CT - Can I do it?

Hey guys. I have pulled a building permit to put a second floor addition. The permit states that I have to get separate inspections for Plumbing/Electrical/HVAC which I expected. Without calling Town Hall - does anyone know if in CT the owner can perform the electrical work themselves and get an inspection - or if the work has to be done by a licensed electrician.

I am a Building Controls Technician and operate under my employer's license when I do electrical work in NY, so I know to work according to code - I'm just unsure as to the laws in CT

ControlTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlTech View Post
Hey guys. I have pulled a building permit to put a second floor addition. The permit states that I have to get separate inspections for Plumbing/Electrical/HVAC which I expected. Without calling Town Hall - does anyone know if in CT the owner can perform the electrical work themselves and get an inspection - or if the work has to be done by a licensed electrician.

I am a Building Controls Technician and operate under my employer's license when I do electrical work in NY, so I know to work according to code - I'm just unsure as to the laws in CT

IS this a single family residence? Then yes, you can pull the electrical permit/ BUT... you or a family memeber MUST do the work, so dont get the permit then go hire some moonlighter to do the work.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #3

Yes, it is a single family residence, and yes I would be doing the work myself.

The work consists of changing an unused 220 outlet to a feed for a new sub-panel. The breaker will be changed out to a 40 amp - the sub-panel will be for two 20A 120 circuits for overhead lights and outlets on the new second floor. I was going to run 8 AWG as the sub-panel feed and 12 AWG as the two circuits, nothing major.

I had already mounted the sub-panel and was about to run the 8 AWG to the main panel, but stopped until I had an answer. I will pull a permit this week if it doesn't require outside labor - otherwise I have to wait until I get some more money for an electrician.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlTech View Post
Yes, it is a single family residence, and yes I would be doing the work myself.

The work consists of changing an unused 220 outlet to a feed for a new sub-panel. The breaker will be changed out to a 40 amp - the sub-panel will be for two 20A 120 circuits for overhead lights and outlets on the new second floor. I was going to run 8 AWG as the sub-panel feed and 12 AWG as the two circuits, nothing major.

I had already mounted the sub-panel and was about to run the 8 AWG to the main panel, but stopped until I had an answer. I will pull a permit this week if it doesn't require outside labor - otherwise I have to wait until I get some more money for an electrician.

You can do all the work yourself, just get the proper permits before the work is started.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

yes you can get a permit to do this work. But you cannot sell the house for one year. CT has such strange rules.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Nevada is the same. Anyone can get a permit to build or remodel any single-family residence, but it cannot be sold or rented for 1 year after the final inspection.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
yes you can get a permit to do this work. But you cannot sell the house for one year. CT has such strange rules.

I was unaware of this, any link to the orgin?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
How is that enforceable? How could a permit office prevent you from selling personal property?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
How is that enforceable? How could a permit office prevent you from selling personal property?

I was curious of that as well, and who's responsibly is it to enforce this rule after the work has been completed?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

The town hall has records of all permits recorded with your deed and such. I buy and fix houses and run into this all the time. This way the find projects that are not built with obtaining the permits. The idea behind this ruling is to prevent flippers and such or homeowners doing work without licenses for the purpose of selling the house. (Thus it is not for your own benefit but work being done for profit (commercial). I have done many HO permits and was told of this issue by building department every time.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Idiot Emeritus

When I got the permit to build my house 12 years ago, I was told by the building department that the house could not be sold for 1 year after the final inspection was signed off. During the conversation, I learned that the building department attaches a note to the deed to this effect. After 1 year, the note is removed, and the property is just like any other.

Rob

P.S. Flippers are a huge problem around here, the above post likely is accurate here as well.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #12

Wink

Makes sense - but that isn't the case here. I actually want to keep this property and maybe rent it out down the line after buying other properties - but thanks for the heads-up!