DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electrical wiring exposed....problem or not??

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
I'm after some advice if anyone can offer it!

I live in a remote area and had an electrician come in to fix a light problem (light circuit was not working but oven/aircon/etc were). They fixed the lights but have left some exposed wiring on an external wall which we are a bit uneasy about (and it takes a lot of effort to get any other electricians to come out to have a look so we have to rely on the one who did the work).

I have attached a pic (if it works) of how some wiring was left after the job. As you can see in the pic, the wires are exposed to the elements and within reach of people. We don't know if they are connected or not, but there was a box at the end of a pipe running down the wall and now it is just wires hanging out. Is this a problem? Safety concern? Does it need to be fixed - urgently or whenever? Or should we just ignore it?

Many thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I am famuir with this set up and unforetally it must have encloseure box to cover up the conductors up and I am not sure if you are from UK or Aussie area due the colour code.

However I do see it is not hook up to anything but the big question is this cable is active or not active.

If this is active cable then it must be in the proper enclosere box.

Merci,Marc

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Testing to see if it is a live wire is a great idea, but I am unable to get to one of the testers to see if the wires are live or not as I am several hours from any shops, and this week am unable to get out due to flood waters.

Is there anything I can use or rig up from things I might have lying around that would do the same job safely? Will looking in the power box tell me anything?

Otherwise I will just have to wait and keep my fingers crossed that it isn't live and/or that no one touches it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.