DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

electrical wiring

Tags
2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnJ0906 
#1 ·
Hi Can anybody help please, I am fitting a new light fitting which is switched from a single switch, but when I turn the light on, it comes on ok, but when I switch of at the switch it blows the fuse, the light fitting has 3 terminals, Live, Neutral, Earth. Can anyone explain how it should be wired so it doesn't blow the fuse, I have tried several options but keeps blowing fuse. thanks. Derek

#4 ·
What's your location? UK?

Is there a way to post pictures of the wiring? Especially the switch?

#5 ·
You don't say where you are, but from your description, I am guessing GB. It is pretty hard to get anything wrong assuming you follow the color codes. In US, black is live(hot-brass screw), white is neutral(silver screw), green or bare is earth(ground-green screw). If it works when you turn it on, but not when you turn it off, I would suspect the switch.

#7 ·
Well, I think that 2nd picture shows the problem.

Did you install a cable from the existing socket to the light, and then a cable down to the switch?
I see that there is a brown and blue conductor connected together in 2 places at the light. Can you describe exactly where each conductor comes from? (As in, brown from the socket, which is connected to blue from the ?)

#9 ·
The Blue from the switch/brown from socket should be connected together, but not connected to anything from the light. The brown from the switch should be connected to the brown from the light, and the blue from the socket connected to the blue from the light.

This will work, and would be legal here in the US, but I have no idea if it meets code in the UK.

#11 ·
Good to hear!

However, check back here, hopefully Marc or someone else who is familiar with UK wiring will post to let us know that this is OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.