Electrical Wiring! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical wiring!

I am having a problem wiring a 15 amp circuit for a new furnace air handler. I am showing 240 volts across all wiring combinations. Red-black, red-white, and white-black all show 240 volts. Any help would be appreciated to help identify my next step..

Advertisement

Kyle1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Electrical wiring!

Kyle,
I get this feeling that you are new to electrical wiring; are you?
What kind of furnace are you installing?
What wires (where are they coming from) are you measuring the voltage on?

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Electrical wiring!

Is it a 3 phase AH? You need to trace the ckt back to the panel and determine what breaker it is connected to. What voltage are you looking for 120?
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

Electrical wiring!

Not new to wiring but have no experience, or at least very little, with 3 phase, which is what it seems this is. We bought this house about 3 years ago with the intention of remodeling and flipping it and moving on to the next project. In the process, our A/C unit went out recently, so I decided to upgrade the entire system being that the furnace / air handler was around 30 years old or so and the condenser was close to 20. Being that both disconnects were 30 amp, I did not think to check and see if this was wired anything other than single phase for residential use. The outside panels are fuse boxes with the primary being a buss fuse service panel with three 100 amp buss fuses and the second panel being a ceramic fuse panel handling six 30 amp circuits. I am planning on upgrading the outside configuration but was not planning on doing so at this stage(that might well change). The furnace / air handler only needs a 15 amp connection, while the condenser needs a 30 amp (both single phase). I can pull power for the air handler from the furnace room temporarily (at least until I reconfigure the wiring), which is the route I am following at the moment, while the condenser will be a bit more of a challenge, since it too had the same issue I was facing with the furnace wiring. The condenser unit that recently died shows to be a single phase unit, however, the outside power is showing 240 across all connections (only red, white, and black are present inside and out / no neutral or ground). Not sure how that figures into all this. Anyways, any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated, aside from the obvious need to redo the service panel and such.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #5

Electrical wiring!

If the unit is that old, so is the wiring. Since it is your money, I would replace the main panel near the meter with a new 200 amp panel with one that has 30 or more ckts. Check the new AHU and determine the voltage and amperage. Probably will be 120 volts. Run a new ckt. #12 cu likely will do the trick. Run a 240 volt ckt to the new A/C unit. Wire size determined by the unit amperage. Retire anything that has a bus fuse and install breakers. You will need a new ckt the the inside panel also unless you want to rewire everything to the new 30 ckt panel.. Is the furnace gas? Water heater gas? If not you need new ckts to each. Miss anything?
You won't need 3 phase so have the utility convert to single phase.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Electrical wiring!

Calling utility to inform them I am pulling my meter in order to shut power off while I upgrade the main panel and so that they can upgrade to 200 amp service. Hoping I can reroute everything into the new panel fairly quickly and begin planning my wiring routes for rewiring the entire house within the next month. For the time being, the main service panel is definitely the priority. Those boys of mine are gonna love all this attic work. And I guess that also means I can blow new attic insulation as soon as the wiring is complete. Don't you just love opening a can of worms?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Electrical wiring!

Sounds like fun. Where are you located?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

Electrical wiring!

Located in South Central Texas and it's heating up fast. Been in the mid 90's the past 2 weeks and no sign of letting up anytime soon.

Advertisement