DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Electrical wires near/touching supply ducts? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/electrical-wires-near-touching-supply-ducts-94403/)

Borgs8 02-03-2011 10:55 AM

Electrical wires near/touching supply ducts?
 
New to the board. Good to be here. Can electrical be run with (next to, touching, parallel) flex forced air supply ducts?

J. V. 02-03-2011 12:04 PM

Yes, cables and conduits can run parallel to duct work and can touch each other. You cannot use the duct to support the cable though.

Borgs8 02-03-2011 12:13 PM

many thanks. i am not sure i understand what you mean by "support", however. again, many thanks. my main concern is electrical wires and a junction box touching the flex duct for the forced air heat.

RST 02-03-2011 12:27 PM

OP - by "support" he means the duct should not carry the weight of the wire. Wires can not just be hanging in the air. Boring holes in joists (NOT TRUSSES) or using a running board are examples of POSSIBLE acceptable alternatives - check local electrical and building codes.

J.V., does your answer also apply to uninsulated round or rectangular ducts? Or do I need to insulate them first?

RST

Saturday Cowboy 02-04-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RST (Post 583915)
J.V., does your answer also apply to uninsulated round or rectangular ducts? Or do I need to insulate them first?

You can run wires in that situation.

In a home there are very few regs relating to separation distance from any thing. There are requirements to derate wire or to use wiring methods acceptable for the location.

But only the Urban Legend Electrical code says things like:
Can't run wires within X distance of water pipes
Can't run wires next to gas lines(don't recommend it)
No Wire Nuts in a Panel

J. V. 02-04-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RST (Post 583915)
J.V., does your answer also apply to uninsulated round or rectangular ducts? Or do I need to insulate them first?

RST

No. It does not matter if its insulated or not.

RST 02-04-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturday Cowboy (Post 584490)
You can run wires in that situation.

In a home there are very few regs relating to separation distance from any thing. There are requirements to derate wire or to use wiring methods acceptable for the location.

But only the Urban Legend Electrical code says things like:
Can't run wires within X distance of water pipes
Can't run wires next to gas lines(don't recommend it)
No Wire Nuts in a Panel

ULEC! Funny! :laughing:

proremodel 02-05-2011 01:30 AM

GRRRR I hate when people screw up and put wire nuts in a panel :furious:. Not that it is wrong just the fact that it looks like crap.

jlmran 02-05-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proremodel
GRRRR I hate when people screw up and put wire nuts in a panel :furious:. Not that it is wrong just the fact that it looks like crap.

What??

Saturday Cowboy 02-05-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proremodel (Post 584941)
GRRRR I hate when people screw up and put wire nuts in a panel :furious:. Not that it is wrong just the fact that it looks like crap.

agreed:no: quilty:whistling2:

J. V. 02-05-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlmran (Post 584978)
What??

Wire nuts and other connections can be made in panels. Panels can be used as raceways in most instances also.

jlmran 02-05-2011 02:34 PM

I know. I was questioning the 'anger'. Some folks really need help with priorities.

LyonsElecSupply 02-05-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 585083)
Wire nuts and other connections can be made in panels. Panels can be used as raceways in most instances also.

You can also remove the bussing and use it as a giant junction box provided you have a cover for it. This is common with fuse panels that get converted to breaker panels at the same amperage.

proremodel 02-06-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlmran (Post 585219)
I know. I was questioning the 'anger'. Some folks really need help with priorities.

One of those quality control things. Don't start cutting your wire until you figured out you have enough to get to the bottom of the box. :)

Speedy Petey 02-06-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proremodel (Post 585591)
One of those quality control things. Don't start cutting your wire until you figured out you have enough to get to the bottom of the box. :)

Well yeah. For new work no kidding. What about a panel change?
You think it "looks like crap"?? Seriously? I'd MUCH rather see a few wire nuts in a panel (ABSOLUTELY LEGAL btw) than several splice boxes above it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.