Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Upgrade: Detached Garage

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have been impressed with all the helpful advice on many diverse subjects. I've got a new project and an internet search on this subject led me here. My electrical know how is rudimentary at best.

I have a 600 square foot detatched garage that is only six feet from my home, but is 175' wire distance from meter and main 200 amp panel. The garage is presently served only by a single 120V 15A circuit for basic lighting. I want to refit the garage with ample service for my welder and plasma cnc table. The welder requires a 240V 50A circuit. The plasma cnc setup requires a 240V 30A circuit for the plasma cutter itself, a 240V 30A circuit for hard wired air compressor, a 120V 20A circuit for compressed air dryer, a 120V 20A circuit for the plasma table, and I'd like another circuit or two for power tools, additional lighting, and possibly ventilation. The welder is not used while the plasma cnc setup is cutting, but the compressor, dryer, plasma cutter, and cnc table all run simultaneously. Also, the compressor, dryer, and lighting/ ventilation are liable to cycle/run while the welder is in use. Most similar setups use a 200A main or sub panel. I'd like to use a 200A sub to keep from having a second meter base if possible.

My questions are:

1) is it feasible to do a 200A grounded sub at 175' from the 200A main with my load requirements?
2) If so, what are you're suggestions as to servicing the sub? (Connect to main? In ground wire size and type?)
3) Any other considerations?

Finally, for all the electricians out there, I'm going to have a licensed electrician get a permit and make all the important connections for me. I'm going to attempt to do all the non-technical "grunt" work myself and am looking to get some insider info on the overall project before getting started. Any comments are appreciated. My goal is to be to code and safe, but get there as efficiently as possible.

Best regards, Brian

LATiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Search this forum for detached garages/buildings. There is plenty of info already posted in various threads. After reading as much as you can, reorganize your thoughts and post your questions here. There are plenty of professionals here willing to help you out. This would be easier then reposting the same information over and over again. Good luck!'

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.

Last edited by electures; 06-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
J. V. (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

What kind of loads do you have at the house? Electric heat? Water heater? Range? Dryer? How large is the house?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would think that a 100 amp service to this garage would be fine. Unless you plan on using the garage for production it's unlikely that you will use both the welder and plasm cutter at the same time. And depending on what you have in use in the 200 amp main I would think that a sub feeded from that location would save you a bundle, and be adequate. Do you have a lot of major electric appliances?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Deleted.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

First of all, I'd like to apologize to those of you who I seem to have irritated with this post.

More importantly, I'd like to thank k_buz and Missouri Bound for taking time to reply.

k_buz, house is 4500 sq ft. Electric dryer, electric double stack oven, three a/c condensers-1- 5 ton unit, 2- 3 ton units. We're in the deep south and they run more or less continuously. Heat and hot water heaters are gas.

Missouri Bound, you are right no production going on with my set up. I am the only user of the equipment mentioned. I did wonder whether 100A panel would suffice, and whether running it near capacity would be detrimental. Perhaps you can answer that. Thanks again.
LATiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

From the loads you are describing I don't see anyway you don't need to upgrade the service.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
From the loads you are describing I don't see anyway you don't need to upgrade the service.
Unfortunately LATiger, this is probably what you will need to do...even for the 100 amp sub.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATiger View Post
First of all, I'd like to apologize to those of you who I seem to have irritated with this post.

More importantly, I'd like to thank k_buz and Missouri Bound for taking time to reply.

k_buz, house is 4500 sq ft. Electric dryer, electric double stack oven, three a/c condensers-1- 5 ton unit, 2- 3 ton units. We're in the deep south and they run more or less continuously. Heat and hot water heaters are gas.

Missouri Bound, you are right no production going on with my set up. I am the only user of the equipment mentioned. I did wonder whether 100A panel would suffice, and whether running it near capacity would be detrimental. Perhaps you can answer that. Thanks again.
First, welcome to the forum!

This is one of the most common posts we see here. I don't feel your post was irritating it's just that there is already a lot of information already here in existing threads. If you search the existing threads you will find a lot of this information. As for your appliances, we need nameplate information to better assist you. WHat equipment will be running simultaniously? Since it is not a production area, chances are you will be the only person utilizing the equipment. This means some equipment may be able to share circuits or what we pro's refer to as "non-coincidental loads". The more information you provide the better we can assist you.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If you are going to set the plasma CNC to do something while you are welding then you will drawing around 80 amps then the compressor kicks on and shortly after you are in the dark with 100 amp sub. If you really want to stay away from having two meters then you could install a 400 service in the garage and a sub feed to your home panel.