Electrical Tape Over Terminals? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Electrical tape over terminals?

Is there a code-compliant way to use electrical tape over some receptical terminals to insulate them in a metal box? If so, does the tape have a special name or can it just be any UL-listed electrical tape?

Advertisement

lmorsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,796

There should be no need to put tape over the screw terminals. All it does it make a mess later.

Advertisement

Hardway (02-28-2013), J. V. (02-28-2013), NJMarine (03-01-2013), stickboy1375 (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorsino View Post
Is there a code-compliant way to use electrical tape over some receptical terminals to insulate them in a metal box? If so, does the tape have a special name or can it just be any UL-listed electrical tape?
As in what code are you talking about?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
As in what code are you talking about?
NEC. Basically, without opening another Pandora's box, I am forced to use a skinny metal box in a certain location. The terminals barely clear the edges of the box, hence the question about the tape.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorsino View Post
NEC. Basically, without opening another Pandora's box, I am forced to use a skinny metal box in a certain location. The terminals barely clear the edges of the box, hence the question about the tape.
What makes you think that the NEC has this info in there? If you ever find it in there, let all of us know what section. As for a skinny box, post a picture of box & this device that you are stating that is not able to clear the edges.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,398

Actually there is a requirement in many local jurisdictions for such a device. The local electrical amendments may require arc shields when receptacles are in close proximity or embedded in wood framing or columns. We usually used plastic box extenders which are also listed as arc shields. I think you need one of these though it isn't necessarily intended for what you are asking. However IMO it is a good idea in your situation. Place it into the box first then install your receptacle.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
Glennsparky (02-27-2013), gregzoll (02-27-2013), Hardway (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
What makes you think that the NEC has this info in there?
It seems to have info on everything else, I am surprised by the things that are regulated. Just want to pass inspection is all...

Quote:
As for a skinny box, post a picture of box & this device that you are stating that is not able to clear the edges.
I posted about it before, and the solution provided was to "use a bigger box". http://imgur.com/mKgLR08

The problem is, if I do that, this particular outlet is going to be staggered from all the others (some of which have to be in single-wide boxes due to their location, see this image: http://imgur.com/2d4rhGy). I'm just trying to avoid it looking weird when its finished. I could use a plastic box I suppose. But since the wire is coming up from a basement, it has to be MC. Which can't connect to plastic. So I would have to have some sort of transition J-box (also in previous image marked with X, bad idea WTF) from MC to NM and I was trying to avoid that.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Does that receptacle have to be a GFCI? Can it be fed from another GFCI receptacle?
Keyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Actually there is a requirement in many local jurisdictions for such a device. The local electrical amendments may require arc shields when receptacles are in close proximity or embedded in wood framing or columns. We usually used plastic box extenders which are also listed as arc shields. I think you need one of these though it isn't necessarily intended for what you are asking. However IMO it is a good idea in your situation. Place it into the box first then install your receptacle.

We call those add-a-depths for use to extend the box to the face of the drywall to comply with 314.20.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

For that box to the left, just drop the vent about 4 inches, and you should be fine on that one, in the second link. In the first link, just use the plastic boxes and you will be fine. Going with the older boxes that may already be in the home, you find that they tend to be a little smaller in width, than the boxes that are manufactured today. Reason is, due to Decora outlets like the GFCI & AFCI receptacles & Decora switches are a little larger in width & length, than the older 2 prong outlets.

You will have to scab in a block to repair the 2x4 that you moved the vent line down or even up on, along with two blocks on either side to further secure & strengthen the patch, but it will work.

Old homes are always fun, so you tend to be creative in working around old framing, plumbing & heating/cooling systems. Of course it is always easier to just gut to the bones, then go from there.

I have my switches at least 52" from the floor, due to that is where the old ones are placed, the outlets though are at around 48" when I put the two in on the wall where my stove is. One next to the switches when you first walk in, I kept it at the height of the switches for the Kitchen & dining in that box, so that I could use a three gang, soon to possibly be a four gang box if my wife gets her way with under cabinet lights on that wall, when we get to that point.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Why would you HAVE to use MC when coming up from the basement?

The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Stubbie (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
We call those add-a-depths for use to extend the box to the face of the drywall to comply with 314.20.
That's correct that is what it's primarily known as, it is also allowed as an arc shield in my jurisdiction and others. Arlington fittings has one that has mulitple use listings.

Stubbie
Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Why would you HAVE to use MC when coming up from the basement?
Probably has critter issues down there, would be my guess. Then again, rats have chewed through MC.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Licensed Electrician

If you have critters in the joists of your basement, I can think of a better way to spend money than updating the kitchen.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
If you have critters in the joists of your basement, I can think of a better way to spend money than updating the kitchen.
This is coincidental but day before yesterday I had transmission issues with my truck. Took it to the dealer and recieved a phone call to check my garage for some kind of critter as my wiring harness was chewed in half where it entered the speed/shift sensor control box on the tranny. It was a $450 dollar repair.

Got home and looked my garage over and low and behold when I peeked behind a folded table on a wall next to where I park my truck and there sits a rabbit.

Anyone interested in a rabbit with a head injury ......

Advertisement

Stubbie
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
operagost (02-28-2013)