Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical Switches

I currently have some rooms that have electrical switches that control outlets and a few that control lights in rooms that are look several rooms away. Is there any directions on line or anywher I can look to find some good directions on how to change my switchs from controlling outlets to controling the light fixutres in the room? Any advice will help. Thanks guys!

Zach

mckain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

Electrical Switches

No. This type of thing needs to be done specific to your house and the way the electric was installed. There are some wacky things done, no one could guess what is going on until you spell out the specifics.

Gensetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #3

Electrical Switches

I do not know a whole lot about electrical. All I know is they wired switches in the rooms to be connected to outlets and not the ceiling fixtures.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Electrical Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckain87 View Post
I do not know a whole lot about electrical. All I know is they wired switches in the rooms to be connected to outlets and not the ceiling fixtures.
By code you need a switched outlet (a receptacle or a light fixture) in every room, you got what someone was willing to pay for... you are far better off hiring an electrician at this point to make any changes you see fit.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Gensetter (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #5

Electrical Switches

Quote:
You are going to have to learn some aspects of electric if you want to do this yourself, especially if you want to do it safely. You are also going to have to describe the exact situation and many specifics about your house since you may need to re-wire some things.

If you are not prepared to do this, then it may be worth it for you to call an electrician. Some DIY things can become a hassle and not worth your time. Only you can tell
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Electrical Switches

Quote:
I currently have some rooms that have electrical switches that control outlets and a few that control lights in rooms that are look several rooms away. Is there any directions on line or anywher I can look to find some good directions on how to change my switchs from controlling outlets to controling the light fixutres in the room? Any advice will help. Thanks guys!

Zach
It can be done, but its not easy !
We need more info thou !
A diagram showing panel location,switchs & lights.
And what controls what ?
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #7

Electrical Switches

Yeah i dont have any type of diagram really unless a draw one or just take pictures of things
Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #8

Electrical Switches

Quote:
Yeah i dont have any type of diagram really unless a draw one or just take pictures of things
Again, for the third time, you gotta describe EVERYTHING in order for us to help you. We need descriptions, pictures will help but we still need good descriptions.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #9

Electrical Switches

Ok. Well this about descriptive as I can get. If this isn't enough maybe I will just get an electrician. In the picture the switch panel on the left wall to the left of the door middle switch controls the outlet that you can see to the right of the door in the middle of the picture. I want to leave that outlet powerd on but run the fan/lamp that you see over head by the switch that currently controls that outlet.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121106_183125.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #10

Electrical Switches

Quote:
Ok. Well this about descriptive as I can get. If this isn't enough maybe I will just get an electrician. In the picture the switch panel on the left wall to the left of the door middle switch controls the outlet that you can see to the right of the door in the middle of the picture. I want to leave that outlet powerd on but run the fan/lamp that you see over head by the switch that currently controls that outlet.

Attachment 60152
What is above this room? What is below it?

If you take the fan down, there is a chance that you will have a switch leg in there that isn't being used. Sometimes they run a 3-wire thru a receptacle and up to the light. If there is a switch leg up in the light box, this will be easy. If not, then you may have to do some rewiring.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #11

Electrical Switches

Above it is a knee wall storage room and below is slab. I dont remember exatly what is under the fan but I did put the fan up and do not remember any extra wires not used.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #12

Electrical Switches

Alright, well you may have to rewire it. Look up in the knee wall attic and see if you can find any wires coming from the area directly above where the switches are. If you can find the switch leg, then you can splice into it here. If not, you will have to snake down to the switch box.

Then go and see if you have access above the fan box. This is where you need to bring the switch leg over to.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

Electrical Switches

I can access the fan receptacle but I cannot get to the switch wires. They are in a wall that is apart if a closet. Unless they ran from the attic space that is even up hire but I look and could not find the wires running down.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #14

Electrical Switches

Quote:
Above it is a knee wall storage room and below is slab. I dont remember exatly what is under the fan but I did put the fan up and do not remember any extra wires not used.
You need to figure out where the fan electrical wire goes. A stud finder w. electrical function may help trace it. I would start by looking at the switch wall plates... many times they just tie in the fan wire there (before the switch). If that's the case then you just need to replace the box (w. a 3 gang) & add a switch.
Greg_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #15

Electrical Switches

Ok. It looks like the fan electrical was spliced with another solid single black wire that runs down the wall and goes down to where another outlet is 10 feet away in the same room