Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electrical Subpanel

I am installing a subpanel in a sleeping cabin at our cottage. The code calls for a separate grounding plate. How do I connect the neutral and ground in the sub panel and the main panel? The code says to connect the neutral to the ground plate in the sub panel.

DMAC 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Electrical Subpanel

What code are you reading? If you search this site for subpanels, you will find umteen million threads on it...there are a couple on the front page alone.

You DO NOT connect the neutral to anything but the neutral bar in a subpanel.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Electrical Subpanel

Thanks for your comments. The Ontario code, rule 10-208 says the neutral must be bonded to ground at each building.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 28

Electrical Subpanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC 7 View Post
Thanks for your comments. The Ontario code, rule 10-208 says the neutral must be bonded to ground at each building.
Your location is a big PLUS, most of use are in the US....
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Electrical Subpanel

I don't ever remember reading that difference from any of the Canada guys here. I will be interested to hear the answer to this.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Thread killer

Rewards Points: 6

Electrical Subpanel

You don't happen to be using the "Simplified Electrical Code" book, are you?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Electrical Subpanel

Yes , Ontario Book 1, 2012 version.

I havew attached a copy of the page from the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Subpanel-ground0001.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Thread killer

Electrical Subpanel

I've talked to more than one electrician here about this suggestion, and they all agree that it is wrong in that book. The only place the neutral and ground should be bonded is at your main panel. We do not differ from the NEC in this regard
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #9

Electrical Subpanel

Thanks for your thoughts, I thought I understood how to connect it up until I read the book.

So in your view the neutral and ground do not get connected in the new sub panel. The new grounding plate gets connected only to the sub panel and grounding bus.

Do I have that correct?

What do I do with the ground wire in the 14/3 cable? Do I use it to bond the two panels together or do I leave it off at the main panel?

I read something about this creating a parallel return path to the main panel which could defeat the GFI plugs from functioning in the new building.

I went to home depot tonight to get some advice and ended up getting directed to their "wiring 1-2-3 book". In there the author suggested connecting the neutral and the ground in the 14/3 cable to the neutral bus in the main panel.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #10

Electrical Subpanel

Let me make my questions easier to answer as they may be getting confusing.

I am running 14/3 from two 15 amp breakers in the main panel to two GFI plugs in the new building. I was going to put a disconnect in the new building just to isolate it in case of a problem.

Questions

At the main panel the neutral comes off the neutral, what do I do with the ground conductor in the 14/3. Does it connect to the neutral or ground in the main panel?

At the disconnect/sub-panel, do I need a separate grounding plate (buildings are 100 ft apart). Do the neutral and ground get connected in any way in the new disconnect?

Thanks again, this is really helpful information.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Thread killer

Electrical Subpanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC 7 View Post

I am running 14/3 from two 15 amp breakers in the main panel to two GFI plugs in the new building. I was going to put a disconnect in the new building just to isolate it in case of a problem.

Questions

At the main panel the neutral comes off the neutral, what do I do with the ground conductor in the 14/3. Does it connect to the neutral or ground in the main panel?

At the disconnect/sub-panel, do I need a separate grounding plate (buildings are 100 ft apart). Do the neutral and ground get connected in any way in the new disconnect?

Not sure why you need a sub panel, in this instance. I am not an electrician, so I'm not going to tell you how to do this, but if you're patient, by this time tomorrow, you will have good advice on how to proceed. (You will be asked what kind of wire you ran and how you plan to get it to the needed location, as well as a few other things, so be prepared.) good luck
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Master Electrician

Electrical Subpanel

No sub panel needed for multi wire branch circuit
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
Master Electrician

Electrical Subpanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC 7

Questions

Connects to the ground

At the disconnect/sub-panel, do I need a separate grounding plate (buildings are 100 ft apart). Do the neutral and ground get connected in any way in the new disconnect? If your installing a sub panel then yes. A disconnect, no. If you use a mwbc which you should then no.

I've not known that book to have any errors. What your is your p.s. knight book?
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Master Electrician

Electrical Subpanel

10-208 Grounding connections for two or more buildings or structures supplied from a single service Where two or more buildings or structures are supplied from a single service, (a) the grounded circuit conductor at each of the buildings or structures shall be connected to a grounding electrode and bonded to the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment; or (b) except for buildings housing livestock, the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment in or on the building or structure shall be permitted to be bonded to ground by a bonding conductor run with the feeder or branch circuit conductors

The wording stinks bit but the grounded circuit conductor is the ground. The neutral is almost always referred to in the cec as the identified conductor.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #15

Electrical Subpanel

Thankyou for your reply.

Yes, this is the P.S. Knight Co. Ltd. book.

Do I need a separate grounding plate for the second building (bunkie) or do I just ground to the main panel in the first building (cottage).

If I need a separate ground in second building does anything other than the ground wires/bonding wires get connected to it? PS Knight says yes to the neutral.

Main panel, connect neutral to neutral, ground wire in the 14/3 does it connect to anything? if yes the ground bar or neutral?

Thanks for the help.