DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electrical Sub Panel #4 burial wire w/60 breaker

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Andy in ATL 
#1 ·
I'm dug a 2 foot deep trench approx 23 feet long. Starting at the main panel on the outside of the house to the storage building 23 ft away. I will be running #4 burial cable into the storage building. What is the lowest point of entrance allowed to make entrance into the building? I currently have the breaker box positioned inside at about 5 feet above the floor. I would like to go in low into the building with an Lb 1 1/4 inch and then bring the cable up along a stud in conduit will this be okay. I'm doing this so it looks less noticeable from the outside.

My second problem is and I don't know the code very well on this. When I bring power up and into the storage building I will be approx. 9 inches from the doorway. The door swings out and the LB will act as a door stop. I was told to put another door stop to prevent the LB from damage. Again the problem is I have already dug the ditch and need to know if the inspector would frown at the LB being so close to the door?. I could have gone underground but when I built the building when didn't run a pipe in the concrete so I would need to chip away the solid concrete to go under ground to much work but would eliminat the LB. Can one of you professionals help me out on this. I can also email you pictures of my project if needed.

3rd will someone explain the inspection process to me I understand a rough in and then a final. Will the final mean all the wall need to be cover in wall board before he okays the electrical? I was hoping I didn't have to cover the walls to pass inspection just another expense.

Any help will be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Frank,

Describe this "#4 burial cable" a little for us. How many wires?

I'm assuming you will run a sleeve from the bottom of your trench into the LB. The code doesn't care how low you go. It kind of doesn't care about the door, either....except for physical damage. I'd install a doorstop to protect the LB. Your mileage may vary with your inspector. If he fails it, tell him to kiss your butt.:laughing: Just kidding.

In the ATL rough in = All wires pulled. Grounding system 100% complete.

Final= 100% ready to move in. In the case of a detached garage, I would say you'd pass as long as the electrical system was complete and safe. Some inspectors don't like to see exposed romex below a certain height. I think it is a bunch of hooey and am fortunate around here.

We frikkin love pictures on this site. Post them directly on here. It will help a ton. I PROMISE we won't critique your work.:whistling2: :)

Andy

Edit to add: Read other thread on this page about subpanel. It has pictures.

#3 ·
#4 wires. 4 wires total with 1 ground wire. Burial cable sold at home depot.
Does the rough in mean that all wires are hooked up to the plugs or wire are all sticking out of the boxes. Does rough in mean I can hook up to service on both panels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.