Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Electrical Splices In The Wall

While building a sun room addition on my modular house I discovered some questionable wiring in the wall. When I removed the siding from the existing house so I could wire in the new addition I noticed electrical splices that were covered up. These splices were in boxes. MY QUESTION: Does the code allow splices that are hidden and not accessible? I didn't think so but maybe. If not allowed I could rewire them into a receptacle box I will install, Is it ok to have 2 different circuits running through one box?

fblankinship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fblankinship View Post
While building a sun room addition on my modular house I discovered some questionable wiring in the wall. When I removed the siding from the existing house so I could wire in the new addition I noticed electrical splices that were covered up. These splices were in boxes. MY QUESTION: Does the code allow splices that are hidden and not accessible? I didn't think so but maybe. If not allowed I could rewire them into a receptacle box I will install, Is it ok to have 2 different circuits running through one box?
I know some Mobile home and Moduar homes they did use the AMP or TYCO splice kits and it is legit for this purpose but just plain jane wirenuts without juction box then no it is not legit.

{ A side note I am not too crazy with them due I have few failures so end up put a junction box and resplice with proper items }

If you want to mount the junction box then yes you can but do not buried behind the drywall or other means and yes it is fine to run with two diffrent circuits in the junction box keep the netural seprated but the ground { bare or green conductor } can tie together without issue.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #3

Talking

Thanks, I plan on putting receptacles on that wall so will run the splices through them.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,036

Two circuits in the same box is okay but ...

... be careful about too many things in the box when you have a receptacle and also a second circuit running through with the splice inside the box.

Two conductor cable coming in spliced to two conductor cable going back out counts 4 points (9 cubic inches for 12 gauge wires).

Connect grounds (for both circuits in this case) together wherever they come together. All the ground wires coming into the box count one point code-wise but if it is hard to stuff everything in the box, you should have a box bigger than what the box fill calculations come up with.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #5

Thanks, I am planning on putting in a 4x4 deep metal box, that should cover it. I appreciate the input. This site is so helpful I really appreciate all the help.