Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical-Sound on speakers on light switch

Hello- New Poster here
I have just moved into a new place. Well it's more like moving into an old place as the building is very old. I noticed that when I switch the lights off, my speakers go 'boom'. Not enough to frighten me but concern that one day I may have a power serge and knock some equipment out. What causes this. I also noticed that on my new full hi def screen, I have some hum bars and I know that comes from dirty power.

Should I be seriously concern about the 'boom' factor? What's the cure?
What is the cheapest way to stop the hum bars- As an AVtech, I have previously used a hum reducing pce of equipment but i was never convinced.

Anyway, I appreciate anyone's advise.
many thanks

Rob

AV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #2

sounds like it may be 2 problems. the hum i've found to usually be a noisy ground. the boom i don't know, only speculate. being an avtech, maybe you can get your hands on an o-scope and look over the incoming power/ground system. have you tried other receptacles for the boom problem?

TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

Your equipment might not be adequately grounded. This can happen if the ground wires are not tightly connected in each outlet box. Just twising them together is no longer considered good enough.

You can run an external ground wire from one piece of equipment to another. Fasten it using a screw that goes through to the chassis or fasten it to the shell of one of the input jacks. Connect the far end of the external ground wire to a known good ground.