Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Socket Help!

Hey I have a problem with the outlets in the second story of my town house. This morning I turned on my space heater and blew a fuse, or so I thought. I went to flip the breakers back on, and they were already on. I flipped them on and off, as well as the breakers for the lights on the second floor, however the outlets are still not working. Here's the other thing- only the top socket in each outlet is not working. The bottom ones are fine. The electrical maintenance fellow tried to explain to me that the top outlets are attached to the light switch, but I know for a fact that they are not. So he was no help.

Now I know this is probably a pretty basic fix, however as a college kid thats living in his own house for the first time with a bunch of clueless roommates I have no idea what to do, other than what I've done (flipping the breakers back on or off and on), and am just generally not that handy. Could someone offer me a solution?!

Thanks in advance!

SMBbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #2

Electrical Socket Help!

Also, this is not the first time this happened. About a month ago the same thing happened and a different guy came and fixed it really easily.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrical Socket Help!

Top outlets are either controlled by a switch or wired thru the switch & you have a bad connection

Or

A 2nd breaker controls the top part of the outlets & needs to be reset

or there is a GFCI somewhere that tripped
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #4

Electrical Socket Help!

I reset all the GFCI's and the breakers but nothing worked. As for the plugs being connected to the light switch, is it possible to have such a bad connection that the sockets work all the time? The outlets seemed to be completely independent in my room as well as my roommates rooms and now we're all experiencing the same problem... is it possible the fuse actually needs to be replaced?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electrical Socket Help!

Can you pull one of the non-working outlets out of the wall and see how many wires are connected (and the colors).

You may want to turn the main breaker off before messing with this since you aren't sure which breakers control each half of the outlet.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown fuse, circuit, circuit breaker, electrical, outlets