Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Schematic help

I'm just started taking an online electrical course and need help with some questions. I was just wondering if anyone on here could lend me a hand.I'm having problems with both schematics questions 12-20.
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Schematic help-electric.jpg   Electrical Schematic help-electric-2.jpg   Electrical Schematic help-electric3.jpg  

hogie1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

My philosophy on homework questions is to hint you in the right direction; I'm not going to do the work for you.

12. Use Kirchoff's Voltage Law

20. You need to solve Questions 16-19 to determine the answer to #20.

Post your answers (including the calculations you did) and we'll see if you need more hints.

Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave632 For This Useful Post:
Billy_Bob (10-21-2012), hogie1979 (10-21-2012), Jim Port (10-22-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,024

Ohm's Law: At all times the voltage measured between two points in a circuit is equal to the current flowing between those two points times the resistance of the portion of the circuit between those two points.

For example if you measure 100 volts across the two terminals of a 1000 ohm resistor then the current flow through the resistor at that moment is one tenth of an ampere.
hogie1979 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

sounds good to me i need to know how to do it in the future! In the first schematic the problem i having is telling which is the parellel circuit and which is the series circuit. This is a correspondance course and all the examples they gave are different from this one. So is the the series circuit R1 and R4 with the parellel circuit being R2 and R3.If i figure out that i will be able to do my calculatons.thanks for the help!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,458

R2 & R3 are in series with each other. That total is in parallel with R4 IF s1 is closed. That total is in series with R1. If S1 is open r1,r2,r3 are all in series.
hogie1979 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie1979 View Post
sounds good to me i need to know how to do it in the future! In the first schematic the problem i having is telling which is the parellel circuit and which is the series circuit. This is a correspondance course and all the examples they gave are different from this one. So is the the series circuit R1 and R4 with the parellel circuit being R2 and R3.If i figure out that i will be able to do my calculatons.thanks for the help!
In series means that all the current that flows through the first component will also flow thru the second component. The two components are connected "end-to-end".

In parallel means the two components have the same voltage across them. The two components are connected "side-by-side".

In Problem 16, you have several instances of series and parallel.
  • R2 and R3 are in series.
  • When S1 is closed, R4 is in parallel with the R2+R3 combination.
  • R1 is in series with either the R2+R3 combination, or (if S1 is closed) in series with the (R2+R3)||R4 combination.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave632 For This Useful Post:
hogie1979 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #7

ok found some time to work on the questions!! Give me good news boys!
12) b (6Volts)(did my work on "questions" file
13) b (Resistor R1 will dissipate the most power) did my work on " questions2")
14) b (167 kohms) (on "questions"file )
15) d (R1) (same question as 13 only different value for resistors which doesnt change anything)
16) c (150 ohms) ( did work on "questions 3" file)
17) b (did work on "questions 3" file)
18) having problems with this one still
19) c ( resistor R2 is shorted)
20) a ( P=E * I P= 6 V * .04 A P= .24 W
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Schematic help-questions.jpg   Electrical Schematic help-questions2.jpg   Electrical Schematic help-questions3-001.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,124

With both branches of the parallel circuit being equal resistance, the current flow through them will be equal and each will carry half of the total circuit current.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
hogie1979 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 502

Jesus H Christ people. You do this dudes homework, he passes the course and gets his certificate, wires somebody's house and it burns to the ground.

If the class is too hard I hear Mickey Deez is hiring.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Jesus H Christ people. You do this dudes homework, he passes the course and gets his certificate, wires somebody's house and it burns to the ground.

B
If you would read the thread from the beginning, you'll see the OP is the one doing the work. The responses, at least all I've seen, are hints, pointers, and corrections.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post

B
I did not give him the answer, I gave assistance (albeit, a fair amount of assistance)

Do you really think that the ability to solve that simple DC circuit will get him an electrical license (rhetorical question).
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #12

Beepster u wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what? As has been stated the course doesnt qualify me for anything as anyone with a clue would know you can't become an electrican by doing some correspondence course! All the course is for is to give me basic knowledge on electrical circuits and it was free throu work so i thought what the hell. But you have yourself a nice day buddy and enjoy ur mcdonalds!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster

B
I really don't see the harm in lending a hand. He got hints and did the work himself. Obviously not looking for a free ride and willing to work. The people who refuse to teach on the basis that they'll be stealing their work need to stop and think for a second. If no one teaches the new generation and passes on tips and tricks then each subsequent generation of electricians will get dumber and dumber. By passing on what we've learned we are bettering the trade and making better sparkies. Kudos for attempting to better your understanding of electrical.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
Dave632 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I really don't see the harm in lending a hand. He got hints and did the work himself. Obviously not looking for a free ride and willing to work. The people who refuse to teach on the basis that they'll be stealing their work need to stop and think for a second. If no one teaches the new generation and passes on tips and tricks then each subsequent generation of electricians will get dumber and dumber. By passing on what we've learned we are bettering the trade and making better sparkies. Kudos for attempting to better your understanding of electrical.
Well jeez, I sure got toasted. Help away everyone.

There is passing along tips and tricks to an apprentice, and then there is helping a student do his homework. Two separate ends of the spectrum.

And the building a house and burning down was hyperbole. Of course you aren't going to run out from an online course and do any damage.

Wish the internet was around when I was doing my accounting homework in the early 90s.

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote