Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

electrical requirements for large whole home system

I'm building a whole house everything system. It is a sixteen zone system with full AV distribution, 9 security cameras, about 70 speakers, ten 9.1 surround sound amplifiers, 6 PCs, KVMs, loads of networking gear, two dss, bluray, roku, squeezebox, NVR server, NVR viewer, etc. There are air conditioners in the Liebert MCR racks. The headend contains three 42U racks. Two of the racks are for AV equipment and the third rack is for the PC equipment.

Here is a detailed list of all the equipment and their electrical needs:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70589/MillerPlan.xls

You will see two tabs on the spreadsheet: Equipment and Cabinets. These contain very detailed information on all the devices going into the three racks. You will see that I specified 14 electrical circuits.

I have already purchased all the equipment except for the "APC UPS 280 watts" and "Furman power conditioners". If anybody experienced with residential systems with requirements like this could give me feedback on the electrical requirements and my proposed design it would be great, all feedback is welcome!

jumonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #2

Where are you located

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply. I am in a residental home in Sterling, VA which is in Loudoun County.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #4

Geeze my checkbook puckers just looking at that list!

Anyway I don't see any totals of amperage for each circuit. Here is a watts to amperage calculator which might be handy. Use the one under single phase...
http://www.jobsite-generators.com/po...lculators.html

Then you might want to calculate the total BTU's of all that equipment in one room so you can to double check the A/C requirements. I know this is a royal pain, but you might find something where you can go from the wattage in general if the manufacturer does not provide a BTU spec.

Also I think (am not sure) that some window air conditioners will not work if the outside temperature is below like 65 F. (Although it is 100 degrees inside that room with all that electronic equipment.) Might want to double check on that.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #5

Here ya go on the BTU's...
http://lavrik.net/index.php?option=c...id=12&Itemid=2
Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

Thanks again. I actually did not pay that much for most of the equipment because we are a Crestron dealer, and some of the things I bought refurbished and off of CL.

If you look in the excel file "equipment" tab I have all the proposed circuits indicated... ie "NEMA 15", "NEMA 30". The Liebert MCR cabinets contain air conditioners in the bottom of the cabinet, so that is OK. They vent to the outside via blower fans. The "cabinet" tab has color coding of each circuit. You will see that for every two Marantz SR6001 amps I have there is a dedicated 15 amp circuit. I think that is conservative which is what I want.

How would I install a new add-on circuit panel? The new circuit panel will be dedicated solely to these three equipment racks. Any ideas how to make it look professional? I do not want to run the wire from the panel directly to the cabinet. I think it would be professional to have the receptacles mounted in the basement ceiling or something??
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #7

From data centers...

Raised floor...

To the racks...