Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Electrical Remodel Issue

I made a huge Amateur mistake while removing a wall in my kitchen. I did not label the existing wires. So I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out which wire goes to what. I need to figure out how to wire my ceiling fan back which has two switches (fan & light) My fan is mounted in a vaulted ceiling some 30 feet up. I do know I have 14/3 currently coming from the fan/light to the 2 switches (black, red & white) but I can't seem to figure out where the power source is coming from. Everything I have researched says that my power source to the fan is coming in from the ceiling fan box, So does that mean both my hot and my switch legs will come from above and not from a plug in box powered up from the floor? Every time I have tried to wire the fan sometimes the fan will work, but when I try to connect the left over wires I trip the breaker. I know whatever I am doing wrong is as plain as the nose on my face, but for whatever reason I can't figure it out. Please help
Thank you Anyone

Amoke01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electrical Remodel Issue

If all you have coming from the fan/light is one three conductor cable, the proper way to wire it would be the white = constant hot, the red = switched hot for light, black = switched hot for fan. Easy test would be to check to see if the white is always hot. If so, remark it with black tape to signify a hot wire (switch loop).

If this is correct, connect the black to the top screw of one switch, the red to the top screw of the other switch, connect two 6in pieces of black (or red) wire to the remarked white wire with a wire nut, and connect the other end of each 6in piece to the bottom screw of each switch.