Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Electrical Question/Advice

We just moved into our newly built house that has a bonus room above the garage. At the time of development, we didn't think it would be an issue, but now we realize it is an issue. In our bonus room we have a fan in the middle and a mushroom light on either side of the fan. We only have one switch to control all 3 devices, either on or off (and I checked and they are piggy backed on each other to the wall switch). Well, we have a futon up there for overnight guests and we would like to be able to have the fan going with the lights out. What do you suggest we do? There is really no room up there to run additional wire because it is up against the roof line. Our builder said if we wanted to accomplish what we wanted, we would have to cut into the drywall in order to run additional wire. But I wanted to come here and see if someone has any other ideas in order for us to get what we want. Hopefully someone has a great idea, thanks in advance!

jrossh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

All I can say is someone did NOT think ahead. What a shame.

Either pull chains on the lights or cut the sheetrock.

I would have run "3-wire" across all three boxes.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
What can I find here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

+1 here
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

Well, I guess I have to take some responsibility - we told our builder 1 switch (because we weren't thinking clearly). But no one told us otherwise to avoid a situation like this

So, it's possible to add a pull chain to the mushroom lights? There's 2 bulbs in each mushroom. If that is my only option, I'll do that rather than cutting into the drywall.

Also, do you think a wireless solution could be applicable here? - if it's even possible? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #5

1. Cut and patch drywall.

2. Wireless remotes. They make one specifically for the fan/light. If the cable runs sw/fan/lights, it will work with a little rewire. If it runs sw/light/fan/light you will need to find a separate remote that will fit into the light jbox.

edit.......google "SmartHome" and "X-10" devices.

Last edited by 220/221; 09-27-2008 at 04:42 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #6

The cable runs sw/light/fan/light ... so if I were to install a wireless receiver on the 1st light, will it cut power to the fan and the 2nd light as well? Or is that what you were talking about when you said get a separate remote? Can you go a little more in detail about what you were talking about please?

Will this be a good solution to put on the lights?
http://www.smarthome.com/2475S/INSTE...Dimming/p.aspx

Also, does it come with a remote, or will I have to purchase that separately?

I'm very new to wireless and x10, so any links to suggested items will greatly help, thanks!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #7

Here is how it works.

When you leave the switch on (or hotwire/jumper it), there is 120v going to the lights and fan jboxes.

A control module, mounted at the fixture/fan, switches this power on and off with a signal from a battery operated remote control.

You can install a standard fan/light remote (Home Depot/Lowes) which will fit under your fan canopy, but it will ony operate the fan and the second light.

You will need a second module to control the first light. The physical size of a second, standard fan/light module may be an issue as it will need to mount inside the light jbox.

If it will fit, simply leave the dip switches set the same and both lights will turn on fro a single controller.

If you search hard enough you may be able to come up with smaller modules but the standard fan/light remotes are inexpensive and readily available.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Is there a "knee wall" area on at least one side of this room? A small crawl space for storage?

One might be able to "fish" some wiring from there up to the ceiling lights to solve this dilemma ....
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #9

Actually, there is a knee wall on either side of the room. If I can do it that way, I would only have to run 1 set of wires from the fan to the switch. That would be the best solution. If I find that it can't be done that way, I'll probably do what 220/221 suggested. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice!