Electrical Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical question

Hi
I have a duplex receptacle (switch on top outlet on bottom) I am replacing because the outlet (bottom) part of receptacle is not working.
I have replaced it with an identical receptacle and the oulet part is still not working..?? I only have one black wire and one neutral and one ground. CAn this be hooked up to operate light and also have use of outlet? Below is how receptacle is set up silver screw on left with green
ground,and gold srew top right with 2 black screws that are bridged together. I appreciate the help....
. .
. .

Advertisement

Last edited by DENIAM72170; 01-24-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: dot moved
DENIAM72170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #2

Electrical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENIAM72170 View Post
Hi
I have a duplex receptacle (switch on top outlet on bottom) I am replacing because the outlet (bottom) part of receptacle is not working.
I have replaced it with an identical receptacle and the oulet part is still not working..?? I only have one black wire and one neutral and one ground. CAn this be hooked up to operate light and also have use of outlet? Below is how receptacle is set up silver screw on left with green
ground,and gold srew top right with 2 black screws that are bridged together. I appreciate the help...Both black screws are on right.. The diagram below didn't turn out right when saved
. .
. .
Changed black screw location cause it moved on me when it saved

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrical question

Something is not adding up right on switched duplex receptale you should have three conductors typically black , red , white et green or bare conductor in the junction box.

And be aware that the bare conductor is not a current carry conductor at all they are used for fault issue.

So look again at the junction box and look at other switched duplex how that was hook up.

The white will always go to silver screws while black conductors will go to brass screws however with switched receptale you will see small tab between the two screws break it out { only if you verify that is real switched receptale }

Green screw for bare conductor or green conductor only nothing else on that.

Merci.
Marc
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Electrical question

NO, you definitely cannot have a switch and a receptacle in the same box with only a white and black.

I suspect this is a switch loop and the white is not a neutral but is the feed to the switch.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrical question

Is this switch go to one of the luminaires ? if so then you have major issue with it as Speedy Pete mention you may have switch loop there.

Merci.
Marc
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

Electrical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Something is not adding up right on switched duplex receptale you should have three conductors typically black , red , white et green or bare conductor in the junction box.

And be aware that the bare conductor is not a current carry conductor at all they are used for fault issue.

So look again at the junction box and look at other switched duplex how that was hook up.

The white will always go to silver screws while black conductors will go to brass screws however with switched receptale you will see small tab between the two screws break it out { only if you verify that is real switched receptale }

Green screw for bare conductor or green conductor only nothing else on that.

Merci.
Marc
Thats what I'm tryin to find out . someone already had this type of receptacle in there and I was tryin to get it to work.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

Electrical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Is this switch go to one of the luminaires ? if so then you have major issue with it as Speedy Pete mention you may have switch loop there.

Merci.
Marc
This switch operates ceiling light. If I put Black wire on gold screw and neutral wire on silver screw the light stays on all the time but still no power to outlet
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Electrical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
NO, you definitely cannot have a switch and a receptacle in the same box with only a white and black.

I suspect this is a switch loop and the white is not a neutral but is the feed to the switch.
How can I check this? It seems to be normal neutral.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

Electrical question

I do not think the OP is talking about a switched duplex receptacle, but is talking about a combination device, single pole switch on top, single receptacle on bottom. Regardless, with only a black and white wire, there is no way to have a switch and receptacle working. If the switch will operate the light, then he has a switch loop. He has a hot available but no neutral. Sounds like this has never worked. Some one may have installed this device, realized it was non functional and just left it to use the switch.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
DENIAM72170 (01-25-2011)