Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical Question

I had to move a washer and dryer to a different place in our utility room which is a lot further from our breaker panel. We have another panel outside the house where the service entrance is and that has 8 spots for breakers as well. This outside panel is on the opposite side of the wall where the washer and dryer will be so it is much easier to move the breakers to this panel and wire it up that way. When we opened the panel we noticed it has a neutral bar but no ground bar. I can see the bare ground wire running through and above the 150 amp breaker and meter. For these two circuits, what should I do for the ground? Should I just clamp them to the ground wire? This isn't a problem in the other panel since it has the ground bar.

BlakeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Electrical Question

Sounds like you have a "feed-through" panel out there. Is the meter part of that panel, or mounted adjacent to it?

If that is the case, then you are dealing with "service equipment" and THAT is the place where the neutral wires are bonded to the ground. No separate equipment grounding bar is needed.

Simply connect both your neutral and ground wires to the same neutral bus, but using different holes for each wire.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Electrical Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Sounds like you have a "feed-through" panel out there. Is the meter part of that panel, or mounted adjacent to it?

If that is the case, then you are dealing with "service equipment" and THAT is the place where the neutral wires are bonded to the ground. No separate equipment grounding bar is needed.

Simply connect both your neutral and ground wires to the same neutral bus, but using different holes for each wire.
Yeah, the meter is part of the panel so I'll need to connect both to neutral bus. Thanks!
BlakeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Electrical Question

Meter/main panels by their design are listed as "service equipment only" and have the neutral bars permanently mounted/bonded to the enclosure. No box bonding jumper is present or needed.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote