Electrical Problems - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Electrical Problems

Hello,

I live in an older home that has a mix of old and new wiring. I recently had an electrician come in and fix multiple problem outlets and switches. Everything worked fine when he was finished.

Last night, I had a knowledgeable friend (a contractor but not an electrician) work with me to replace the additional outlets in the living room with matching outlets. We simply replaced the older brown 2-prong outlets with new ivory ones to match what the electrician installed.

When we turned the breaker back on, all of the outlets we replaced worked fine. But, later that night I realized that there were some problems in the kitchen (which the outlets/lights are on the same circuit as the living room). The GFCI tripped and could not be reset, as well as the garbage disposal and two other outlets were inoperable. My voltage tester beeped when it was placed next to the non-working outlets.

I'm having the electrician come back on Friday to look at the issues.

Does anyone know what this is symptomatic of?

Advertisement

PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electrical Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKatz View Post
Hello,

I live in an older home that has a mix of old and new wiring. I recently had an electrician come in and fix multiple problem outlets and switches. Everything worked fine when he was finished.

Last night, I had a knowledgeable friend (a contractor but not an electrician) work with me to replace the additional outlets in the living room with matching outlets. We simply replaced the older brown 2-prong outlets with new ivory ones to match what the electrician installed.

When we turned the breaker back on, all of the outlets we replaced worked fine. But, later that night I realized that there were some problems in the kitchen (which the outlets/lights are on the same circuit as the living room). The GFCI tripped and could not be reset, as well as the garbage disposal and two other outlets were inoperable. My voltage tester beeped when it was placed next to the non-working outlets.

You wired something wrong, I do recommend running a new line for the garbage disposal (15 amp) and a new line for the kitchen outlets (20 amp) because of heavy loads.

Is the circuit multiwire (a black and red sharing the white)

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electrical Problems

Quote:

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

Electrical Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
I do recommend running a new line for the garbage disposal (15 amp) and a new line for the kitchen outlets (20 amp) because of heavy loads.
I'm not a professional but I thought the same thing. It's how I've seen my houses wired.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Electrical Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKatz View Post
Hello,

Problem sounds like you have wires reversed on one or more of the outlets that you guys changed. That is probably why the GFCI wont reset and the garbage disposal might be on the load side of the GFCI. I could be wrong but that sounds like the problem
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote