Electrical Problem. Please Help!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical problem. Please help!!

Earlier today I think my swimming pool pumped that is plugged into thine of my garage outlets fried today. It's no longer working and now I'm having other electrical issues. My air conditioner was running when the surge occurred and now whenever I turn on my ac, my directv receiver resets. I went outside tonight and turned the lights on in the garage and the lights inside my house dimmed and my directv reciever reset again. There is a box in the garage that has two bigger black switches and four glass fuses. None of the circuit breakers inside the house are tripped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

Jcusi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Did you disconnect the pump or at least pull the breaker or fuse that powers it?
Not sure how anyone on line is going to be of much help on this one.
With old outdated wiring like that it could very well have burned up the wiring.
Call in a pro, not a friend of a friend that has changed his own outlets before.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

I disconnected the pump. I think your right, I'll call a pro tomorrow
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

hope it turs out ok for you, stay safe. I would be curious as to what happend, maybe we could all learn from it.
bf514921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #5

I had my pool pump plugged into the garage and I noticed that one of the glass fuses in the fuse box was burned out. Would that cause any problems on the inside of the house. The garage has a glass fuse box and the inside has a curcuit breaker box.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

This is going to be a total guess. There isn't much to go off of, but it seems you might have lost one leg of the service. Since you called an electrician...what did he say?

Yeah, the inside very well could be on that fuse in the garage. However, if you have a detached garage, I doubt it.

Last edited by k_buz; 07-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

I agree with KBuz.
Since it is two days later, and this is not something you are likely to troubleshoot yourself, and you are still here asking questions, I'll ask: What did your electrician say?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

I have an electrician that did previous wiring for me and he's not available until monday. I was just trying to figure something out before then. I know it's a shot in the dark to be asking these questions online but I was hoping someone had an idea. When I turn on the lights in the garage, it also trips my directv receiver so I'm going to replace that fuse in the garage today and see what happens. Should I shut the power off inside the house at the breaker box before screwing in the new fuse in the garage?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcusi82 View Post
I have an electrician that did previous wiring for me and he's not available until monday. I was just trying to figure something out before then. I know it's a shot in the dark to be asking these questions online but I was hoping someone had an idea. When I turn on the lights in the garage, it also trips my directv receiver so I'm going to replace that fuse in the garage today and see what happens. Should I shut the power off inside the house at the breaker box before screwing in the new fuse in the garage?
Is the fuse bad?
Do you even have a tester?
DO NOT GO NEAR ANYTHING LIVE!!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcusi82 View Post
Earlier today I think my swimming pool pumped that is plugged into thine of my garage outlets fried today.
Look for a voltage change in that outlet while you plug in a toaster or hair dryer. More than a 3v drop, like from 120v to less than 117v, probably means a bad connection.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote