Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electrical Problem

In my garage I have an outlet that I ran power to a garage door opener and a freezer.

I shut the garage door last night and woke up and tried to open the garage door and it didnt work. I plugged the door opener to an extension cord and it worked. Freezer same thing. Problem is the outlet has no power. I then went to the breaker panel and I have checked with an OHM meter the breakers and they are all on. There are a few outlets in another room which are on the same circuit because I dont have power there either.....what happened. I went under the house and nothing looks out of wack. I would have thought it would be a bad breaker any suggestions please???????

RSpoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Electrician

Electrical Problem

Is it GFI that power is run from, if so you may have to reset the GFI.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

Electrical Problem

Hopefully you strung an extension cord from the freezer into the house and to a live receptacle.

Before using the ohms function of a meter, (1) turn off the circuitpower and (2) disconnect everything from at least one of the terminals or wires that you will touch the meter probes to.

There may be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit feeding that garage receptacle.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

Electrical Problem

I did plug the Freezer and garage door opening into a different circuit entirely. The garage is on a 220 subpanel with 110 to each side of the garage. The original outlet in the garage is the one in question.
Not sure how to proceed since I have checked the breakers and found 110 volts at each 110 breaker.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 48

Electrical Problem

Sounds like a tripped GFCI. If not you have a loose connection somewhere.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Electrical Problem

Garages should have GFCI protection. Sounds to me like the most likely cause is a tripped GFCI receptacle someplace. Especially since you say the freezer and garage door opener are on the circuit. The garage could be fed by the basement, the bathroom, the kitchen, or an outside receptacle that is GFCI. Look for any tripped receptacles. Or you could have a loose connection somewhere, or a bad breaker.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 16

Electrical Problem

The loose connection might possibly be where the wires connect to the outlet in quesiton.\

They make a tone generating device that you could clip onto the wire for a circuit at the panel after unscrewing it from the breaker. It comes with a receiver unit that plays the tone when its antenna is close to the route of the cable. So you can trace the route of the cable and also find out what other outlets are served by that circuit where the loose connection might be there.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Electrical Problem

Well the wires are tight on the outlet, the outlet isn't the problem the wires are dead....no juice. circuit breakers appear to have 120v
so now what?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #9

Electrical Problem

Find the GFCI or the loose connection. Problem could be in a working device on the circuit.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

Electrical Problem

There are 3 GFCI in kitchen, kitchen is working.
Bathroom downstairs (2story house) has GFCI and its working.
upstairs bathrooms work and they have GFCIs so I dont think that is the problem.

I am going to check the breaker panel tomorrow for a wire that is not connected or something but why why would it have happened last night after I shut the garage door......never happened before.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #11

Electrical Problem

Check around the outside of the house for a GFCI
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #12

Electrical Problem

DUDE.......now I can put the panel on tomorrow and put my deep sink back together.....I went into the kitchen and pushed the reset button nothing and I know the other two are on separate circuits but I installed a GFCI in the bathroom near the sink and it made sense that if that is at the beginning of the circuit (and yes the light was off the GFCI) I saw the light off I just knew when I flipped it that was going to work....WOW thanks so so much I would have thought of that and an electrician would have come here and that would have been something he would have flipped and walked out with $60 plus dollars.....woohoo yeah I needed that.
Its one of those things you will never never ever forget.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #13
Scared Electrician

Electrical Problem

outside of a Gfi plug hidden behind some thing in the garage (which sounds like you have eliminated this possibility) then we have to assume that it is a bad connection or wire. Start from the panel and check in every box for power as the circuit works its way around the garage. The problem will be either in the last box with power or the first with out.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote