Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #1

Share |

Electrical Problem

Thats why I came here, My back porch has an Overhead light (That Works) But i have 2 receptals that dont, They did for over 3 years or longer, and Then one day We went to plug someting in and Nothing, I need some Help, what couldit be, something simple I sure Hope, I can rewire plug in's but trouble shoot(Not)
splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #2

Electrical Problem

Do you know if the light and outlets share the same power feed? The outlets may be dead due to a GFI that tripped somewhere; look around for a GFI and hit the reset button.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #3

Electrical Problem

I think the overhead light and the Outlets are on the same feed, They are not GFI.
splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #4

Electrical Problem

Then there is a connection or cable issue. Shut of the electricity to the light and using a test light for 120 volts check for voltage at the outlets. You may just have a loose connection at one of the outlets that is the cause. If you are unsure how to do this, get an electrician as you can get killed.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

Electrical Problem

Outdoor receptacles MUST be GFCI protected. The light does not. Hint Hint! Are you sure that the receptacles are not GFCI protected? It can be a GFCI breaker or receptacle. If its a receptacle one would feed the other one in most cases. If you do find a GFCI and it will not reset, replace it.
This GFCI receptacle requirement has been in place for as long as I can remember. The only way it would not be GFCI protected is if your house is very very old. Or an idiot installed them.

Ps........The GFCI receptacle could be inside. Check the inside wall where the outside receptacles reside.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #6

Electrical Problem

Look in the garage. I bet there is a tripped GFCI. It is probably behind the pile of stuff that been there since you moved in. Unless this house was built before 1985 there should be GFCI protection for those receptacles somewhere. Might even be in a bathroom that you don't use a lot.