Electrical Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical problem

Hi all,

I live in a condo. I am having kind of a weird. Last night I was washing down my patio. I heard a pop and the 3 outlets along the wall that separates the interior from patio stopped working. Also the outlet on the patio, the one outside the front door, and the two bathroom lights stopped working. The outlets in the bathroom still work as well as the vent fans. Just the light bars above the sinks stopped working.

The pop I heard sounded like a GFI. I have a surge protector that I plug my TV and other equipment into so I think that was what I heard. My TV, etc are all fine.

Nothing on the electrical panel seemed to have been tripped but I tried resetting them anyway. I also checked all the GFI's and they seem to be ok. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what is going on. Iím guessing I got water into the outlet but it seemed pretty dry when I checked it. It is also enclosed in a case with a hatch to protect it from the weather.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Advertisement

nvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvguy View Post
The pop I heard sounded like a GFI.
I also checked all the GFI's and they seem to be ok.
Spend $5 on an outlet tester.
Get the one with the button (that checks GFI's) on top.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical problem

actually i think i have one of t hose i just forgot about it. the GFI's in the condo have a light on them and a TEST button. when i hit the text button the light comes on then i push the reset button and it goes out.
nvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Electrical problem

Moved to Electrical forum.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Electrical problem

Most likely the pop you heard was a wire blowing off the back of a backstabbed outlet, or junction point blowing apart.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvguy View Post
Hi all,

I live in a condo. I am having kind of a weird. Last night I was washing down my patio. I heard a pop and the 3 outlets along the wall that separates the interior from patio stopped working. Also the outlet on the patio, the one outside the front door, and the two bathroom lights stopped working. The outlets in the bathroom still work as well as the vent fans. Just the light bars above the sinks stopped working.

The pop I heard sounded like a GFI. I have a surge protector that I plug my TV and other equipment into so I think that was what I heard. My TV, etc are all fine.

Nothing on the electrical panel seemed to have been tripped but I tried resetting them anyway. I also checked all the GFI's and they seem to be ok. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what is going on. Iím guessing I got water into the outlet but it seemed pretty dry when I checked it. It is also enclosed in a case with a hatch to protect it from the weather.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Check your outdoor receptales for cracked gasket or loose cover those are famous for tripping the GFCI's.

Those are pretty common issue with GFCI with outdoor receptales.

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement