DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

electrical plug and switch

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Linda Patterson 
#1 ·
I have old and new wiring. Bought an old house.
I have a wire that runs from breaked box to back porch light and to a kitchen plug opening that also has a light switch for the ceiling light in the kitchen.
I had a bad light switch so I bought a new one. I turned the main off and took the old switch out. That is when I found out that I had old wire and new wire together. The new (to the ceiling light) is only hot when wire from the old wire hooked to the electrical plug is connected to the light switch. When I took the switch out and replaced it I also took out the little wire that ran from the plug to the switch. Now I can't hook this back up, I threw that little apliance looking wire away and larger gauge wire won't do it. I now have the two wires together, no plug, no ceiling light, just the old hot wire to the new wire so I can have a light on the back porch.
I cannot afford an elictrician or to rewire the whole house.
Do you have any suggestions?

#4 ·
Not sure why the bigger wire won't work. Yes I threw the smaller wire away, it just did not seem right, so guess I was wrong. You have to consider I replaced a light in the sewing room that was actually tied in with lamp wire from a lamp. There is no telling what I will find in here. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.