Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Share |

Electrical plan...ok?

I am turning the back 1/2 of my attached garage to a home office. The inside wall is cinderblock so I am putting up a 2x4 wall for drywall 1/2" from the block. Currently there are 2 wires running on the outside of the drywall that they run to the rest of the house.

Question 1: Can I simply run these wires along the joist in the 1/2" area and staple to the joist? This allows me to avoid disconnecting at the box and rerouting.

Question 2: I will run 3 new circuits. 1: 4 outlets in garage, 1 in office (computers). 2: 1 outlet in garage, 5 outlets in office.
3: 2 outs in garage, garage light, garage door opener, office lights.

Yes, this is all probably overkill but I would rather not run into overload down the road. All run on 14/2 wire. I will not make final connections into the box. My neighbor is a Union Electrician and will do that.

Thoughts?

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
electrician

Electrical plan...ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post

Yes, this is all probably overkill but I would rather not run into overload down the road. All run on 14/2 wire. I will not make final connections into the box. My neighbor is a Union Electrician and will do that.

Thoughts?
Yeah, your neighbor is scabbing on his own union, Rat Bastard!

I hate hypocrites.

Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
DIYer

Electrical plan...ok?

Quote:
Question 1: Can I simply run these wires along the joist in the 1/2" area and staple to the joist? This allows me to avoid disconnecting at the box and rerouting.
That sounds OK.

Quote:
Question 2: I will run 3 new circuits. 1: 4 outlets in garage, 1 in office (computers). 2: 1 outlet in garage, 5 outlets in office.
3: 2 outs in garage, garage light, garage door opener, office lights.

Yes, this is all probably overkill but I would rather not run into overload down the road. All run on 14/2 wire.
You are putting too much on circuit 3, for a 15 amp circuit.

If it were me I'd do it this way:

12/2 20 amp - Office outlets and lights
12/2 20 amp - Garage Door Opener/Garage Outlets

This way you don't have noisy garage loads in your office. If you already have a bunch of 14/2 wire, you can use it though. I'd still avoid mixing the garage outlets with the office outlets just for EMI reasons.

Don't forget the GFCI protection in the garage. Another reason not to mix garage and office. You don't want your computers tripping the GFCI required in the garage circuits.

Quote:
I will not make final connections into the box. My neighbor is a Union Electrician and will do that.
That doesn't matter in most areas. You are supposed to get a permit either way.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
DIY Expert in Training!

Electrical plan...ok?

Gigs...I actually do have a lot of 14/2 wire laying around but will use the 12/2 instead to make it easier to wire. Do I need at GFCI in the garage? Permit is in the works.
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
DIYer

Electrical plan...ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
Gigs...I actually do have a lot of 14/2 wire laying around but will use the 12/2 instead to make it easier to wire. Do I need at GFCI in the garage? Permit is in the works.
Well you can work the plan with 14/2 and 15 amp circuits.

If you were doing it in 14/2, I'd do one lighting circuit with all the lighting for both on it, one for outlets in the office, and one for outlets and everything else in the garage.

This is assuming you won't want to use an electric space heater in the office. If you do, then it needs to be on 15 amp by itself pretty much.

The garage door opener and outlets should be either GFCI breaker or put a GFCI outlet as the first outlet with the rest downstream on the load terminals of the GFCI outlet.

edit: Or you can use one 14/2 for the lights, and two 12/2 for the outlets, one garage one office, another option, still gives you beefy outlets and uses up some of your 14/2 wire.

Last edited by Gigs; 12-08-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote