Electrical Panel (whats Live?) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Panel (whats live?)

Ok, I have installed my subpanel and wired up my sub panel receptacles. Now Im faced with my fear, the main LIIIIVE Panel. My question is: What exactly on my main service panel is LIVE??? I have reached the point where all I have to do is connect my breaker to the main panel but Im nervous because I dont wanna touch ANYTHING in the box until I know for sure Im not gonna get zapped. I want to screw in the neutral and the ground but that makes me nervous.

Advertisement

audivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

OK, before you start digging around turn off the main breaker and remove the panel cover. Learn how your panel is configured. I'm going to assume this is a typical panel with snap in breakers. The main breaker will be at one end of the two bus bars and it is permanently mounted and the branch circuit breakers connect to these bus bars. Locate the three large wires that feed the panel. Two will connect to the main breaker - these are HOT all the time.
Turning off the main breaker will remove power to the two bus bars so it is safe to work in the panel. Just stay away from the feed lines.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #3

Ok. Thanks. But I think my situation is a little different. Ive included a photo of my panel. Here is what I am faced with.....My panel box is a little older and when they wired this box they did not install a main breaker. They stuck with the code that 6 throws of the wrist is okay to shut it down so as you see the 60 amp will shut down the bottom half of the box and the top half, you'll have to flip those off manually if you want it to shut down. With that said, that means that my bus bars are always hot, correct? So, the 40 amp breaker on the top right is coming out, as that was my range and I switched over to gas. Thats where I want to install my new subpanel breaker. Should I be fine to get my flathead screwdriver and insert the neutral and ground without being bit?
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Panel (whats live?)-panel.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 518

Oh, a split-bus panel. Those aren't common anymore. You'll be fine connecting the new neutral and ground on the bars. Just be extra careful, because as you correctly assumed, the entire top section of the buss is hot at all times. Plan your movements as you're manipulating tools and wires in the panel, to make sure nothing, including your hands, gets too close to the live buss.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

Thanks a lot.....but ?....Is ONLY the metal tabs LIVE and nothing else? If not, then what exactly in the panel is live? Thanks in advance....
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 518

If you turn off all of the breakers in the top section, the metal busses that the top breakers clip onto will still be live, as will the main incoming wires and the terminals they attach to.

As long as you are very careful, you won't have a problem. But if you are all uncomfortable working around live parts, you should either have power company remove your meter to kill the panel completely, or get an electrician to connect this circuit for you.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
audivid (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

This just might be something you want to get some help with. It sounds like you are not comfortable working around hot electrical.

Advertisement

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote