Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical panel upgrade

Hi,

I don't know if this question is too general, as I don't know anything about electrical issues. Can anyone tell me how much it should cost to upgrade an electrical panel from 100 to 200 amps?

Thanks!

kfowle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electrical panel upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfowle3 View Post
Hi,

I don't know if this question is too general, as I don't know anything about electrical issues. Can anyone tell me how much it should cost to upgrade an electrical panel from 100 to 200 amps?

Thanks!
In my neighborhood it would be about $3000 (roughly)

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
DIY Junkie!!

Rewards Points: 150

Electrical panel upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfowle3 View Post
Hi,
Thanks!
I just underwent a similar changeover to a project home in a very small town in SW KS. The house had overhead 100 amp service, I thought I could just have the poco upgrade the transformer at the pole and run a bigger wire into my current meter box on the side of the house's porch. I knew it would be all on me from the meter box to the new electrical service panel, but it seemed like a do-able job to me.

In the end, b/c of the age of the house and the fragile nature of the current exterior poured concrete walls, I had to have the poco install a new pole in the alley and provide me with a meter box on the pole. Good thing, the current box was showing signs of arcing where the meter lugs slip between the jaws of the meter box--the electrician told me I was not far from a house fire. From that new meter box in the alley, I had the only electrician in the county dig the new 4/0 200 amp supply line into the ground about 3' down, it made for a very sanitary entrance into my house with just a piece of grey PVC type stuff running up the wall with an "LB" fitting to allow the wire to turn the corner into the current porch. We were able to establish an uninterrupted connection between the output terminals on the meter box and the input terminals on the new Square D 200 amp service panel I had already mounted on the wall.

I did all the transfer of the current wires from the old electrical panel to the new one.

The total cost for the part of the job that related to service to the house (I took advantage of the ditch to add service to an old detatched garage) was about $1,750.00. However, the reason it was that inexpensive is that the local poco, which is an electrical cooperative, is willing to give to any of their customers 150' of 1/0 wire, which is what they would use for overhead 200 amp service. The only charge the poco made was the $75 cost difference between the 1/0 they would have given me for overhead service and the 4/0 wire that was necessary for underground service.

Had we been able to connect to the current walls of the house and used overhead service, there would have not been the expense of burying the wiring, which added about $300-$400 to the cost (my estimate), reducing the cost to below $1,500.

I must have put in 20 hours removing wall coverings so the old panel could be removed and the new one installed and switching the current wires, as well as running many new circuits for future expansion, and I'm still not done with that part of the project. I predict there's at least another 20 hours of work, but I figure by DIYing that part of the project I've saved myself about $1,500, according to what I read on this forum.

From what I've read the going price starts around $3,000 and goes up from there .........

Dugly
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrical panel upgrade

All it depending on the location and the electrician do the work.

There is too many variations to determed what is the real price.

Changing from overhead to underground or stay with overhead and changing meter location will affect the price and time { most good electricians will useally swap and install new meter in about half to full day depending on the set up some will take more time }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical panel upgrade

Thank you for replying everyone. I've been trying to figure out if I'm being overcharged, and this information has been very helpful. I was given an estimate of $2487.00. I know an amateur, but after reading YerDugliness's post, and the fact that my house is old, I think I'll stay away from that.

Thanks again!
kfowle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100 to 200 amps, electrical, panel upgrade