Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 150
Share |
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Hello everyone. I was looking at the wiring in my fuse panel earlier and want to make sure everything is wired correctly. All the hots are separately wired and all the neutrals are hooked up separately which to me looks like, however all the grounds coming into the panel are twisted together. From there one ground wire is going to what I assume is the grounding block. The grounding block has 4 spaces with only the one being used. Is this correct? Also, if any new wiring is added can that new wire's ground go to a separate spot in the grounding block or should it just be twisted together with the rest?

Another thing i noticed is that there are two empty bars offset from the two bars that the neutral wires are connected to. I'm not sure what these are for. The shot grounding bar is tucked back in the bottom left corner of the panel.

I took a few pictures to help. The first shows all the grounds twisted together in the far back. The second shows the neutral bars, with the grounding bar in the fast back on the left. The third shows the one ground wire going to the grounding bar in the bottom left corner.






Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,683
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Not the best practice, but it has been done in many panels.

__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 150
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Not the best practice, but it has been done in many panels.
What would best practice be? And also if new circuits were added should they be grounded to a separate spot on the grounding bar or just wired into the twisted group of ground wires?

Also what are the two empty bars for behind the neutral bars?
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,617
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
Hello everyone. I was looking at the wiring in my fuse panel earlier and want to make sure everything is wired correctly. All the hots are separately wired and all the neutrals are hooked up separately which to me looks like, however all the grounds coming into the panel are twisted together. From there one ground wire is going to what I assume is the grounding block. The grounding block has 4 spaces with only the one being used. Is this correct? Also, if any new wiring is added can that new wire's ground go to a separate spot in the grounding block or should it just be twisted together with the rest?

Another thing i noticed is that there are two empty bars offset from the two bars that the neutral wires are connected to. I'm not sure what these are for. The shot grounding bar is tucked back in the bottom left corner of the panel.

I took a few pictures to help. The first shows all the grounds twisted together in the far back. The second shows the neutral bars, with the grounding bar in the fast back on the left. The third shows the one ground wire going to the grounding bar in the bottom left corner.





No pictures.
__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 150
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
No pictures.
I don't understand?
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,617
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
I don't understand?
I can't see your pictures. Don't know if it is just my pc or not. Can anybody else see the pics?
__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western PA
Posts: 203
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


I see the pics just fine.
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,875
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
I can't see your pictures. Don't know if it is just my pc or not. Can anybody else see the pics?
They show for me ... maybe you can see them now ?
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,875
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
What would best practice be? And also if new circuits were added should they be grounded to a separate spot on the grounding bar or just wired into the twisted group of ground wires?
Best practice would be for individual grounds to be terminated separately.

Terminate the new circuit grounds separtely.



Quote:
Also what are the two empty bars for behind the neutral bars
Those are just additional bars to terminate neutrals. But this also poses a question.

Is this your service equipment ... the only panel where your means to disconnect all power from the utility exists? It is necessary to know before answering some of your questions.

I'm not seeing your earth grounding or a main bonding jumper is why I'm asking.

Last edited by Stubbie; 10-04-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,374
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Two neutrals under one screw is wrong.
The grounds should be wire nutted or crimped together.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
electures (10-07-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 40
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


.....

Last edited by alexlacelle; 10-04-2012 at 10:52 AM.
alexlacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 40
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


.....

Last edited by alexlacelle; 10-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
alexlacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 150
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by stubie View Post
Best practice would be for individual grounds to be terminated separately.

Terminate the new circuit grounds separtely.





Those are just additional bars to terminate neutrals. But this also poses a question.

Is this your service equipment ... the only panel where your means to disconnect all power from the utility exists? It is necessary to know before answering some of your questions.

I'm not seeing your earth grounding or a main bonding jumper is why I'm asking.
This is the only panel. I can terminate the new circuit separately on that short grounding bar. But all the others will still be twisted together with only the one wire going to the grounding bar.
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 150
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Two neutrals under one screw is wrong.
The grounds should be wire nutted or crimped together.
I did notice the two under the one screw and have room to change that.

Is there a wire nut big enough for all the wires to fit?
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,875
Default

Electrical panel ground wires


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
This is the only panel. I can terminate the new circuit separately on that short grounding bar. But all the others will still be twisted together with only the one wire going to the grounding bar.
Then we need to affirm your main bonding jumper. This is generally a screw or other conductive means to join (bond) the neutral bar(s) to the metal of the panel. This is critical if the grounds rely on the metal of the panel to move fault currents to the neutral bus and ultimitely the service neutral so that your fuses can open.

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (10-04-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to know if my grounds and neutrals are connected right dorlow Electrical 185 01-15-2012 02:54 PM
sub panel ground and neutral daddyrabbit Electrical 3 01-29-2010 06:49 AM
hooking up dryer....bronx ny code SURFBUG Appliances 6 10-14-2008 09:41 PM
Bare Ground Wires MrBill_DIY Electrical 4 10-05-2008 07:05 PM
Hot Tub Install--Grounding Rod Question statgeek_rob Electrical 16 09-15-2007 02:59 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.