DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electrical outlet receptacle touching copper hydro pipe

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
Hi everyone
I just had an outlet installed in the joists of a unfinished basement to allow me to plug in a new washing machine. I just noticed that due to space constraints the electrician placed the metal box of the outlet right against the main water line which is made of copper.
I will admit to knowing little about electrical code but this doesn't seem right. If anyone is familiar with electrical code and could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

#6 · (Edited)
Actually in a properly built electrical system, the metal outlet box and the water pipe are "touching" in a roundabout or indirect manner even if they are not in direct contact with each other; that is referred as being bonded.

Aside for corrosion due to galvanic action (requires being wet or in a humid atmosphere), their "touching" is perfectly okay.

The metal box is bonded to the breaker panel either by the ground wires (equipment grounding conductors) in the Romex cables going from box to box, or by the metal conduits going from box to box. The panel is bonded to the plumbing system by a fat ground wire coming out and attached to one of the water pipes. This fat ground wire is called a grounding electrode conductor when it is attached to a metal main water pipe exiting the building underground; otherwise it is called a bonding jumper. Where plastic pipe is used, isolated sections of metal pipe should have bonding jumpers going between them.

#8 ·
Some inspectors will fail it due to the fact you are in contact with dissimilar metals. There is nothing to fear electrically, but the plumbing pipe will prematurely fail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.