Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Electrical Outlet Problem! Please Help!

I have an electrical issue and thought you folks might be able to tell me what might be going on. Our outlets in both bathrooms and the outlet outside have stopped working. Only one of them have the test/reset buttons. Usually when we reset it they will start working again but, this time resetting is not working. We replaced the outlet with the test/reset button and still nothing. Do you folks have any idea what might be causing this to happen? . I appreciate any advice you folks could give.

speedy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

My money says its the GFCI receptacle.

The one you replaced including the connections you made when replacing it.

You have line and you have load connections on this GFCI.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Agree with JV.

Either you have an incorrect connection in the new GFI, or there is a ground fault in one of the down stream receptacles.

I have seen wetness, spider webs, dirt, weeds/vines, all trip GFI's.

Check your connections (LINE & LOAD, hot and neutral) at the GFI, and then check ALL the other receptacles and boxes on that circuit.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
JOATMON

The most common mistake I have seen is people getting the neutrals swapped....line on the load and load on the line.....on some boxes, the NM is stripped back to just where it comes in and it's sometimes hard to tell which ckt is which...

Also note the newer GFIC's will not reset unless power is on...so make sure the main breaker has not tripped.

You should be able to remove the load wires...and with just the line wires connected....reset and test.

If that does not work and you have power on the line wires...bad GFCI

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I'll check those out.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy35
Thanks guys! I'll check those out.
You may also have another gfci on that circuit, but upstream of the one you replaced. Typically not a good idea to have a second gfci on the load side of another.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
You may also have another gfci on that circuit, but upstream of the one you replaced. Typically not a good idea to have a second gfci on the load side of another.
Doesn't every gfci have test/reset switches? If so there is only one in my entire house.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy35 View Post
Doesn't every gfci have test/reset switches? If so there is only one in my entire house.
Oui all the GFCI receptales do have test / reset button so you can not miss that and did you check in crawl space or in basement or in the garage sometime it will show up in oddball place which you will never think about it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

Well guys, I checked with my voltage tester and the GFCI receptacle and 2 wires were swapped. After swapping the wires to their correct positions, still not working! It won't reset but the light on the receptacle is on whereas is was not yesterday. I am going to check the other 2 receptacles today and hopefully find the problem. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

If the gfi light is on but won't reset then you have the line and load reversed. I've had this happen before
romex1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by romex1220 View Post
If the gfi light is on but won't reset then you have the line and load reversed. I've had this happen before
That is good info and makes sense....

The GFIC light would be powered off the load side....i.e., if the GFIC is on and supplying power, the load side is hot....but if the wires are swapped like you said....the light is still getting power from the load side....but the GFCI will not work because there is no power on the line side....the internal relay can't be energized....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
romex1220 (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

I think you just have the power and neutrals mixed up on the gfi. For example, on the line side you have the line power and load neutral and on the load side you have load power and line neutral.
romex1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy35 View Post
Well guys, I checked with my voltage tester and the GFCI receptacle and 2 wires were swapped. After swapping the wires to their correct positions, still not working! It won't reset but the light on the receptacle is on whereas is was not yesterday. I am going to check the other 2 receptacles today and hopefully find the problem. Thanks again for all the help.
Well, you either still have two wires wrong, or it's a bad GFI.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
JOATMON

See post #10.

And...make sure your understanding line and load....

Line - This is where the power comes in. The hot and neut from your load center.
Load - Output from the GFCI....this is where you would plug in additional outlets downline.

Do this....

Leave the load side disconnected.....once you have the GFCI working with just the line side connected...then you can hook up the load side.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #15

Ok then I feel stupid! When I tested the wires with the voltage tester I got readings on all 4 wires but I put the wires with the strongest reading to the line side of the receptacle. There isn't much room for me to get these wires spread apart. I am sorry for bothering you folks and I appreciate everyone's help!

Tags
electrical outlet, gfci, help electrical wiring