Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical outlet phone jack extension?

My Garage is detached from the house and gets it's electricity from the house via an underground-run wired connection to the basement as it's fuse is in the basement. I wish to use a corded phone in the Garage and the only way other than to run a physical phone wire is to use a "wireless phone jack" which works by plugging into an AC outlet in the house in one room and plug the extension base into another room, problem here is I think both units have to be placed on the same electrical line so since the Garage line runs into the basement line and my phone line is on the 1st floor, is there anything I can do to get the wireless phone jack to work? Thanks.
mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
My Garage is detached from the house and gets it's electricity from the house via an underground-run wired connection to the basement as it's fuse is in the basement. I wish to use a corded phone in the Garage and the only way other than to run a physical phone wire is to use a "wireless phone jack" which works by plugging into an AC outlet in the house in one room and plug the extension base into another room, problem here is I think both units have to be placed on the same electrical line so since the Garage line runs into the basement line and my phone line is on the 1st floor, is there anything I can do to get the wireless phone jack to work? Thanks.

How far is the garage? I would just get a wireless phone.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #3

The garage is like 50' away from the house, reason why the cordless don't work is bad reception in or close to the garage.
mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #4

They do make "wireless" phones and appliance remote controls that use the existing power lines to carry a modulated audio signal.

Usually this kind of device must have transmitter and receiver on the same side (leg) of your 120/240 volt service although not necessarily on the same breaker's branch circuit.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote