Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

electrical outlet for jet bathtub

we have to install an outlet for a jetted bathtub and need to know if there is a distance requirement for the elec. outlet. The tub came with a power cord with a plug (110) attached so do we have to install a dedicated plug, on the wall or the floor and can it be a regular GFCI plug on a standard circuit? Where does it need to be placed.

amywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Master Electrician

well first question is what does the manual for the tub say, it will tell you the draw and if it suggests using a dedicated circuit. As for the gfci i can say it would need one here but you'll have to wait for someone better versed in the nec to chime in.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by amywill View Post
we have to install an outlet for a jetted bathtub and need to know if there is a distance requirement for the elec. outlet. The tub came with a power cord with a plug (110) attached so do we have to install a dedicated plug, on the wall or the floor and can it be a regular GFCI plug on a standard circuit? Where does it need to be placed.
Lets start with the basics, the manual will state whether or not you need a dedicated circuit, but most likely yes... It must be GFCI protected, A receptacle generally gets installed within the decking of the tub... You could install a GFCI receptacle within this space, but it's not ideal, because of testing the GFCI monthly, and in fact a code violation in Connecticut, so I recommend a GFCI breaker in the panel for the tub... thats the gist of it...

Also, the electrical equipment shall be accessible without damaging the building structure or building finish, in other words, you need permanent access to the motor.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-11-2012 at 03:30 PM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

I prefer installing a dead front GFI in the bathroom at a convenient location so, when or if it trips....well ya know
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wirenut1110 For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
I prefer installing a dead front GFI in the bathroom at a convenient location so, when or if it trips....well ya know
That's what Connecticut wants as well, they feel the GFCI needs to be tested every month, because, you know... everyone does that. Im not knocking this requirement, its just not going to happen either.

To the OP, this is a faceless GFCI that provides the required GFCI protection.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote