Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical outlet depth for tile backsplash

We completely gutted a kitchen and plan to do tile backsplash. What depth should we place the new outlet boxes out from the wall studs so that we won't have to move them out after sheetrock is complete?
suzy5033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

an amount equal to the thickness of the tile being used.

it's better to be a little recessed than sticking out a bit so do not be generous with the dimension of the outset.

and yes, as jim said in the following post (and I simply assumed you would figure you already had to set it out for the rock but upon retrospect, it might not have been totally clear), be sure to include the thickness of the 'rock when calculating the outset.

Last edited by nap; 08-29-2010 at 03:13 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

You need to figure the thickness of your drywall and the tile. You could use adjustable boxes to make sure you get the right depth. A little more expensive, but worth it IMO. You could also use the SmartBox that lets you adjust the depth after the tile is installed.

The box can set back no more than 1/4" from a non-combustible surface. I think you will find that that leaves too much play when plugging something in.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post

The box can set back no more than 1/4" from a non-combustible surface. I think you will find that that leaves too much play when plugging something in.
unless it is plastic tile, neither the tile not sheetrock is considered to be flammable. If the box is inset too far, there are means to shim the recep so they mount solidly to the box.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #5

I would install a Carlon adjustable box.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #6

I would use either adjustable boxes or 4x4's with the proper depth plaster ring to account for the wallboard and tile.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote