DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electrical outlet boxes

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  seymour 
#1 · (Edited)
It's stiffling in my upstair office and I have several ceiling fans that I want to put up as well as a new bathroom light fixture but.....

I discovered there's no outlet boxes in the ceilings, just a scimpy metal bar which the wiring hasn't been secured to and I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the code says is required (Ontario Canada). I'm in a high-rise of two-story townhouse units and it's all concrete.

As well, I've got a Harbor Breeze universal ceiling fan & light remote but have lost the instructions for the installation and would appreciate some direction and also do I just plop the receiver into the canopy or what?

thanks

#2 ·
The first thing to determine is if the current box and brace are rated for fan support. If the answer is no then those changes will need to be made first before you attempt to wire the fan.

#3 ·
Thanks Jim! When I took a look at the little 'bar-thing' that was the first thing I though of, there's no way they'll hold the weight let alone the vibration of the fan and there is NO BOX, just the conduit tubing with the wires inside floating loose inside the wall with the wiring running thru a hole in the 'bar-thing'. Will speak with Building Standards and the Property Manager about getting an electrician in to install the boxes -- so much for the place being 'professionally renovated' ??!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.