Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

electrical outlet

Hello there! Can you tell me how to figure out to determine where the problem is? I had a power strip connected in a room the plug was exposed enough that a paper clip fell and it made conctact so the power went out so I replaced the outlet but when I plugged somenthing else to test it it didn't turn on and I know there is juice because the power went back on, on the other outlets in the room as soon as I connected the black wires. I appreciate it Thanks

DAD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
electrical outlet

Check the outlets on either side of Rec that is not working.Wire prob broke or stabed in back of rec came loose when paper clip shorted rec out.

Last edited by 300zx; 08-26-2009 at 03:25 PM.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #3

electrical outlet

I have the outlet completely exposed I replaced it with a new one and all the wires are now connected exactly the same. and no luck,do you mean I should pull the wires to see if they are loose inside the wall? as I took off the other outlet I got a little tickle (i thought there was no juice at all) THANKS!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #4

electrical outlet

Quote:
I know there is juice because the power went back on, on the other outlets in the room as soon as I connected the black wires.
Check the outlets on both sides of the one that is not working sounds like the neutral wire came loose or disconected.Are the outlets stabed in the back or are they wraped around the screws ?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #5

electrical outlet

I did find one other outlet to the right that I know it had juice and now it doesn't. I'll do the same thing open it and check it out. Thanks I'll let you know how it went
Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #6

Talking

electrical outlet

Hey THANKS ALOT!! as it turns out the one to the right did have a cable loose and it is now working! the only one other thing is dat on that one outlet only one end works and it also has a red cable, now, this rec on the side that now works on back it has 2 black wires and a white. on the one that doesn't is red and white. should I just buy another rec and connect the wires the same way? once again thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #7

electrical outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD1 View Post
Hey THANKS ALOT!! as it turns out the one to the right did have a cable loose and it is now working! the only one other thing is dat on that one outlet only one end works and it also has a red cable, now, this rec on the side that now works on back it has 2 black wires and a white. on the one that doesn't is red and white. should I just buy another rec and connect the wires the same way? once again thanks
I Really don't understand,But if you put them back on the new rec on the same way you take them off should be fine
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

electrical outlet

Think this is a MWB - multiwire branch circuit ??

Check the little metal tabs on the old outlet near the hot screws
Is it broken off?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #9

electrical outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD1 View Post
The other half of the outlet is probably turned on and off by a wall switch.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

electrical outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Think this is a MWB - multiwire branch circuit ??

Check the little metal tabs on the old outlet near the hot screws
Is it broken off?
Yes you'll want to break those tabs especially if it is a split! (ex: a double breaker feeding them). From the top hot to the bottom hot, that is 240 volts, if that tab is not broken that's a nasty short! (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

But either way if there are 3 wires (usually the extra one is red) you'll want to put the white on the side with the biggest blade hole (the left) and break the tab on the right side then put the wires on both screws the order here does not matter, it will just control which plug is controlled by a switch (if one is controlling that).

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote