Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
BobVillaWannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to Revnjeff
Share |
Question

Electrical Newbie Wants to Learn

OK, I've changed some outlets, even added outlets and exterior lighting, but I've never really worked seriously with electrical wiring.

We live in an old house (there's at least one light fixture with cloth covered wiring) and it needs some work.

Can those who know what they are doing suggest a book, video, or whatever to begin learning? I don't have time to apprentice with an electrician. I already have a more than full time job. Our local tech college doesn't have anything for beginners.

I'd like to be able to work on replacing some of the old wiring, but actually know what I am doing, rather than risk setting my home on fire because I screwed up, or electrocuting myself, or going broke with a contractor.

I've handled low voltage wiring before in my model railroad, and was able to wire connections without problem.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Revnjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #2

The learning curve in electrical work is huge.

I'd keep fresh batteries in my smoke detectors and leave it alone. Most of the problems I have encountered with old wiring is from people messing with it.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revnjeff View Post
OK, I've changed some outlets, even added outlets and exterior lighting, but I've never really worked seriously with electrical wiring.

We live in an old house (there's at least one light fixture with cloth covered wiring) and it needs some work.

Can those who know what they are doing suggest a book, video, or whatever to begin learning? I don't have time to apprentice with an electrician. I already have a more than full time job. Our local tech college doesn't have anything for beginners.

I'd like to be able to work on replacing some of the old wiring, but actually know what I am doing, rather than risk setting my home on fire because I screwed up, or electrocuting myself, or going broke with a contractor.

I've handled low voltage wiring before in my model railroad, and was able to wire connections without problem.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, If you look at the top of the page you will see DIY HOME WIRING or click the link below
DIY Home Wiring
It looks like lots of good info! Don't get in over your head!...... j
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Licensed Pro

Some good books:
Wiring Simplified
Wiring a House by Rex Caulwell
Electrical Wiring, Residential by Mullin
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Some good books:
Wiring Simplified
Wiring a House by Rex Caulwell
Electrical Wiring, Residential by Mullin
As well as those above which I often reference- I like some in the Black & Decker book series as they usually have good color pictures which helps in certain situations.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #6

Go to a large book store and get a book on basic electronics. Another on electrical wiring. And another on construction like wood framing.

The basic electronics book should teach you the basics of electricity and how to use test equipment.

The electrical wiring book will teach you basic electrical wiring in a home.

The book on construction will show you how homes are constructed and what you can expect to find inside your walls.

Then also there are electrical codes. There is the National Electrical Code, but some states have their own revisions to this. Check with your local electrical inspector's office to see what code(s) are required for your area. Many times these are available at local libraries. Note that there were a lot of changes for 2008, so don't learn old electrical code rules...
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #7

Since you've got an old house, I would suggest getting a copy of "Your Old Wiring." Also, look around on the NFPA.org web site. Somewhere on that site you can view the NEC online at no charge. Your local AHJ may (or may not) have information on any local amendments to the code, permit requirements, etc., on their website.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
BobVillaWannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to Revnjeff

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

And as was suggested, I have no intention of getting over my head. Believe me, I've learned that the hard way (see signature below).

Jeff
Revnjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Any project that doesn't involve a trip to the Emergency Room was a successful project, no matter the outcome.

My one and only episode, 2 weeks ago. Severe dehydration/renal failure.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote