Electrical Meter - Tricky - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Meter - Tricky

Hi, I'm new here. First post, hopefully I start this off right, sorry it's kind of long winded.

For starers, yes I know it is illegal to pull your own electrical meter. I do not plan to pull my own meter and would not think of it. That stuff will kill ya I hear. I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to electricity, my dad is the electrician, not me, I just own the house we are working on.

Ok, on to the question if it can be answered. I am going to be changing out my breaker box. The old one only has 10 breakers in it, plus someone has put on some "piggyback" boxes that surround it and look like a fire hazard since they are not fused between the piggyback box and the main box. So I want it out of there. I called my local utility and they sent out a new guy, or at least I am assuming new since he looked like he still belonged in high school. He looked at my meter and said "I've never seen one like that before" so after looking at it for an hour told me he couldn't pull it and I would have to get someone else out there. Not a problem, got them scheduled to come out this friday.

What I want to know is if anyone knows how to get the ring off so in case the next guy says "Uhhhh I've never seen one of those" I can say "You just need to......" I have included a picture, it looks like it takes some sort of tool. Not sure.

Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Meter - Tricky-100_0189.jpg   Electrical Meter - Tricky-100_0188.jpg  

Advertisement

Stickwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 512

That's a locking ring to prevent theft of service. Only the power company has the key to remove it.

Advertisement

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
Stickwelder (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,806

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
That's a locking ring to prevent theft of service. Only the power company has the key to remove it.
Agreed, they should have a tool to unlock this.
Stickwelder (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of one time use deal or something strange like that. I think the kid tried some sort of key in there but it's all plugged with mud and junk. When they get back out here friday I can at least have a clue what the guy is doing other than offering to cut it off with a grinder. He didn't see the humor in that.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

If the other guy can not get it off with the key, they have tools that will take it off (saw with carbide blade). As for the first guy, probably low man on the totem pole and got the short straw. A co-worker of mine her husband works for the city utility, and he says that 99% of the time, they are sitting at the shop, either in the break room or hanging out in the trucks taking naps, until a call comes through.

If you want to talk about home owner excitement, wait until you make a call for power out, and you get five trucks, then two more show up. When they want to get the job done, they know how. If you have everything by the next call, and nothing is going on, that guy may just hang out waiting for you to get the new box online, then if they are able to inspect before putting the meter back up, it depends on the utility. That is how it works here.

Get the new box up, hook up meter, then move everything from the old box to the new over time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

I hope it goes that quick. I already have all the wires labeled, just need the old box out of the way and the new one in there. We will see what happens in 2 days, only thing I might not have all the supplies to hook up right away is the air conditioning but I won't be needing that any time soon.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Actually you can leave the old box in place, just when they pull the meter, you will pull the drop from the meter to the new panel. Worst case scenario, you may have to pull a new set of wires from the meter to the new box if they ones that are there now are not long enough. Reason being, you hook up the new panel, POCO guy leaves, then you get to move everything over to the new panel at you leisure, vs. having to rush through it, or worst case, having to run a genset for a day or two, until everything is in the new panel.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

They sent out a guy who said that??? Personally I'd call the POCO and complain that they sent a completely incompetent worker. Unlocking a barrel locked meter is standard procedure. The mere fact that he said he'd never seen one before tells me that he has NO place even being in a truck by himself!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 77

Totally agree with Speedy Petey

Advertisement

pokey is offline   Reply With Quote