DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electrical meter on road vs. on the house

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CheriAlli 
#1 ·
Could anyone tell me the pros and cons for putting a meter on the road side as opposed to on the house? Contractor thinks it would be better...no hassles from the electric company.
In your opinion, does it make a difference at all?
Thanks in advance!
:)

#7 ·
Meter

My cabin had the meters, electric and off peak, directly attached to the side but when I tore it down to build a new house, the utility company placed the new dual pedestal meters about 80 feet away. That is my point of connection and it was my responsibility to trench the USE-2 to the house and connect them to the main and off peak panels.
The utility said it is best for them because they don't have to worry about what is under the surface like septics, drain fields, sprinklers and so on. The dual pedestal is nice. It has a customer accessible disconnect switch. Never have to pull the meter:thumbup:

#8 ·
In our area, the utility is responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the lines ahead of the meter. Placing the meter at the road minimizes the amount of lines that the utility will repair in the event of a bad piece of wire.

This means that if the line develops a fault, it will be YOUR expense and hassle to get it repaired. Keep that in mind when you install the feeders from the meter to the house. I'd use some conduit in such cases. :whistling2:

#9 ·
along with that, in my area, the POCO installs the underground feeder from the pole to the meter on the house for a ridiculously reduced price compared to the actual cost. That means, if you have the meter at the road, you would pay a lot more to install it that way that if the POCO ran it clear to your house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.