Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Issues on Main Panel

http://youtu.be/kwy7_VWNqbo Just below my main breaker (200 Amp) box, on the left pole of the buzz bar there are sparks coming from around the hex nut. Now with all breakers on, if you turn on the A/C unit, it runs for about 5 minutes or so and trips the "Main Breaker", not the A/C breaker. The other way the main trips, is if a lot of circuits are being used, fans in all rooms, lights, and turn the electric burners on the stove on, it will trip... roughtly after 5 minutes or so. The electricity was just turned on at the house because people are moving in. The electricity has been shut of for about 4 months now due to it being vacant, however, prior to that it was running with no issues. The Electric company came out and declared the meter is good and to call an electricitan. Anyone know my issue? Is this an easy fix?

See link to video - http://youtu.be/kwy7_VWNqbo

Last edited by jeremysre; 07-29-2011 at 09:02 PM.
jeremysre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Loose connection, heat buildup is tripping out the main. The guts of that panel are toast, and I doubt that merely attempting to tighten that nut would be a sufficient remedy.

Call an electrician is good advice.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

The good news is it hasn't caught fire yet. The bad news is it probably will soon if left as-is. Leave the main breaker off until you can get that looked at. As kbsparky says, all the heat and arcing from that loose connection may well have done some damage to the guts of the panel. It definitely needs to be evaluated by an electrician.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

So by loose connection, i'm assuming that is being directed at the nut? Is there a reason it cannot just be tightened? Guts burnt to a toast? are you being metaphoric, or are you saying there are other issues that are not visible, or in a best educated guess opinion, could be wrong that is causing the arcing around the nut?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with just tightening that connection without inspecting it first. Loose connections arc, as you noticed, which causes burning and pitting of the metal, and can result in a poor connection even after tightening. Loose connections also get very very hot, and that heat can damage the surrounding plastic components and main breaker.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,110

The connection (nut and stud) has gotten so hot that it is tripping the breaker. This has not been a short term problem.

The fact that this has been happening for a while means that in all likelihood simply tightening the nut is NOT a safe or effective fix at this point as the metals have changed properties.

If the panel is not that old you may be able to have just the internals replaced.

Are you the owner? Renter?
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #7

Yes, i am the owner of the property. I have tenants moving in next week and they had the electric turned on in the house, but when i went over to inspect the HVAC and hook up gauges, of course i had to wait a period of time to get pressures up & thet is when i noticed the main kept tripping. I am not looking for an easy fix, but if this is something that i can deal with, by all means i will educate myself to handle it, however, if this is a difficult issue to both diagnose and fix, then money well spent to the professional.