Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical Issue - Ceiling Fan

Let me first thank you for offering this service. I am sure it has helped (and saved) many people.

My question relates to wiring of a ceiling fan.

There are three sets of wires coming into the box (all three have a white, grey and a bare one).

The breaker has lights in three rooms all connected to this set up.

I have hooked all the white together (three) and all the grey together (three). When I flip the breaker, the lights in the other bedrooms work - but when I flip the switch in this bedroom, the breaker triggers.

I thought that when I took the original fan down, there were two white and one grey together on one marret (sp?) and two grey and one white one another marret. I reproduced this and reset the breaker. Again all the lights in the other bedrooms work, but when I flip the switch in this bedroom is sets off the breaker.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

-- Breanna

PS I have attached a photo of the mess.

I am not sure if I added the pictures incorrectly, but you must right click the image icon and click open image in new tab.

Last edited by bmyles; 08-13-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Just n00b error when posting
bmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Looks like you have a switch leg coming into that box. How was everything connected, before you took it apart, to begin with? Do you know which set of wires has power coming into it, when the breaker is on?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Looks like you have a switch leg coming into that box. How was everything connected, before you took it apart, to begin with? Do you know which set of wires has power coming into it, when the breaker is on?
No I am not positive on how things were connected. I believe that white and grey were intermingling though. Just not sure how.

Not sure which set has power coming in. I am thinking that it is the one where the one set of wires come in (one side of the box has two sets, the other only one). That said, the side where one set is coming is is also the same side as the switch..
Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
It's a switch leg. When you hit the switch, it connected the hot to the neutral and shorted. You need to find the white and grey wire that goes to the switch and connect your white wire to the set of grey wires and the single grey to the light. Your neutral goes to the set of white wires
romex1220 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to romex1220 For This Useful Post:
bmyles (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by romex1220 View Post
It's a switch leg. When you hit the switch, it connected the hot to the neutral and shorted. You need to find the white and grey wire that goes to the switch and connect your white wire to the set of grey wires and the single grey to the light. Your neutral goes to the set of white wires
Alright, still a bit confused.

I will post another picture tomorrow and label each wire in there. Then maybe I could see what you are talking about.

How do I know which set goes to the switch?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

If you have three sets of wires, one is your power, switch leg, and load feeding the other lights. With the power off, disconnect all the wires and make sure non are touching each other, turn on the breaker and use a volt meter and test between each of your grey wires to both the neutral and ground. The one that has close to 120 is your power, more than likely that wire that is by itself. Are any of the white wires marked black by chance
bmyles (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
If you have three sets of wires, one is your power, switch leg, and load feeding the other lights. With the power off, disconnect all the wires and make sure non are touching each other, turn on the breaker and use a volt meter and test between each of your grey wires to both the neutral and ground. The one that has close to 120 is your power, more than likely that wire that is by itself. Are any of the white wires marked black by chance
Volt meter. Lol. You didn't think I had one of those did you??

I'll check later to see if a white is marked black.

Thank you for taking a bit of time to respond.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

[QUOTE="romex1220"]If you have three sets of wires, one is your power, switch leg, and power feeding the other lights. With the power off, disconnect all the wires and make sure non are touching each other, turn on the breaker and use a volt meter and test between each of your grey wires to both the neutral and ground. The one that has close to 120 is your power, more than likely that wire that is by itself. Turn the power back off and make sure that the switch for that light is off. Now take your supply wires and take one of the other sets of wires and wirenut the white to white and grey to grey. Turn the power back on and try the other bedroom lights. If they work, I'll explain what to do in a minute. If they don't work, then disconnect that set and connect the other set, they should work now.

If they work, then take the remaining white wire and connect it to your greys and take the grey and hook it to the light. The white from the light goes with the three whites. It should work if you did it right
gregzoll (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

[QUOTE=romex1220;1229073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by romex1220
If you have three sets of wires, one is your power, switch leg, and power feeding the other lights. With the power off, disconnect all the wires and make sure non are touching each other, turn on the breaker and use a volt meter and test between each of your grey wires to both the neutral and ground. The one that has close to 120 is your power, more than likely that wire that is by itself. Turn the power back off and make sure that the switch for that light is off. Now take your supply wires and take one of the other sets of wires and wirenut the white to white and grey to grey. Turn the power back on and try the other bedroom lights. If they work, I'll explain what to do in a minute. If they don't work, then disconnect that set and connect the other set, they should work now.

If they work, then take the remaining white wire and connect it to your greys and take the grey and hook it to the light. The white from the light goes with the three whites. It should work if you did it right
So if I connect the remaining grey to the black on the light, that leaves a white. You say to take the remaining white and attach it to the three white. There isn't three white. Only two attached.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #10

If you determined which set is your supply from the breaker and which set is the one feeding the other lights, then you should have a grey and a white left in the ceiling box. Those go to the switch. Take the grey wire and attach it to the black wire from the light, take the remaining white wire in the ceiling box and wirenut or marret it with the two grey wires. The white wire from the light goes to the two whites which would now make it three white wires.

As for your grounds, they get wire nutted together with a pigtail for the box if its a metal box. If plastic, don't worry about it. The green wire from the fan also gets attached with the grounds

Last edited by romex1220; 08-14-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
If you determined which set is your supply from the breaker and which set is the one feeding the other lights, then you should have a grey and a white left in the ceiling box. Those go to the switch. Take the grey wire and attach it to the black wire from the light, take the remaining white wire in the ceiling box and wirenut or marret it with the two grey wires. The white wire from the light goes to the two whites which would now make it three white wires.

As for your grounds, they get wire nutted together with a pigtail for the box if its a metal box. If plastic, don't worry about it. The green wire from the fan also gets attached with the grounds
Perfect, I think this worked. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

Glad I could help. Let us know if you need further assistance