Electrical Inspections - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electrical Inspections

It is interesting to read comments posted by our DIY'er and what they are told by inspectors and I find the replies equally interesting as they relate to code interpretation. We all know the primary purpose of the inspection process is to ensure safety but think about this. Anyone can work on their own car or a friends car and replace the brakes without getting an inspection or having any type of certification stating they are capable of doing the work.
In MN a homeowner can do wiring in his own house but that is it. He cannot do wiring in an apartment or rental unit that he owns or a business that he operates.
Is this pretty standard around the US?

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrical Inspections

Quote:
In MN a homeowner can do wiring in his own house but that is it. He cannot do wiring in an apartment or rental unit that he owns or a business that he operates.
Is this pretty standard around the US?
that is typical in a lot of areas. Basically, they don't mind if you kill yourself or burn your own house down but they don't want you doing it to other people.

Quote:
We all know the primary purpose of the inspection process is to ensure safety but think about this. Anyone can work on their own car or a friends car and replace the brakes without getting an inspection or having any type of certification stating they are capable of doing the work.
the work done on a building is expected to last decades. Much of it is hidden and will never be seen again and is not easily inspected once the walls are enclosed.

the brakes on a car; last a year or two, easily inspected by removing the wheels.

btw: many states require a mechanic that works on vehicles as a business to be licensed. More require mechanics that work on vehicles such as busses to be licensed. The licensing generally requires some form of testing the knowledge of the mechanic.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Electrical Inspections

I think the original poster didn't necessarily mean that the brakes will last as long as say a new electrical run, or that they are as hard to look at as that electrical run. I agree with him that it is odd. I can change and modify anything in my car, truck, semi-truck, recreational vehicle etc, and then sell it the next day to some schmo that might die because of my 'handi'work and there is no mandatory inspection process.

With house inspections it is not so much how long the work will be good for, nor difficulty to access and inspect later, because if it were we would only require inspections for work that will be difficult to inspect later.

The question then becomes, should we have vehicle inspections as per house inspections, or should we not have to do house inspections because we don't have to do vehicle inspections?
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 150

Electrical Inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
I think the original poster didn't necessarily mean that the brakes will last as long as say a new electrical run, or that they are as hard to look at as that electrical run. I agree with him that it is odd. I can change and modify anything in my car, truck, semi-truck, recreational vehicle etc, and then sell it the next day to some schmo that might die because of my 'handi'work and there is no mandatory inspection process.

With house inspections it is not so much how long the work will be good for, nor difficulty to access and inspect later, because if it were we would only require inspections for work that will be difficult to inspect later.

The question then becomes, should we have vehicle inspections as per house inspections, or should we not have to do house inspections because we don't have to do vehicle inspections?
In Maryland, you only have to have your vehicle inspected when you sell it. This leaves lots of people running around w/ very very very unsafe vehicles. Ive seen people bald tires with the chords showing going down I-95 at 85 mph. On the other hand, other states require yearly vehicle inspections (a great idea) and the car MUST be fixed before it can be driven from the shop if deemed unsafe.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Electrical Inspections

Quote:
=Troglodyte;465983]I think the original poster didn't necessarily mean that the brakes will last as long as say a new electrical run, or that they are as hard to look at as that electrical run.
I know he didn't, I did and I did because it is a fact. Due to that, the problem with the vehicle brakes is much easier to investigate and they are investigated with much more regularity than an inspection of a house's electrical system.

Due to the need of the brakes, any deficiencies will also show up much quicker than a typical electrical code violation. Due to the fact that most people do not want to drive with defective brakes, they will have them repaired. With an electrical system, the problems often do not show up until the house burns down. With brakes, if they work when you leave the garage, they are probably going to be functional, at least to some degree, until a new problem presents itself. Most brake failures are not catastrophic failures either. There is generally a period of time which the brakes do not work 100% right but they are far from being 100% lacking.

Quote:
I can change and modify anything in my car, truck, semi-truck, recreational vehicle etc, and then sell it the next day to some schmo that might die because of my 'handi'work and there is no mandatory inspection process.
the semi? that is subject to inspection anytime it is on the road, even if you do the work.

the other items; again, if the brakes work when you pull out of the garage, they will likely work at some level, even if not 100%. If there is a problem, it will generally cause symptoms which would cause a reasonable person to investigate and repair them before there was a catastrophic failure.

Quote:
If anything, vehicles should be subject to inspection. The problem with that is: if you are talking about all vehicles being inspected anytime work is performed, logistically it is near impossible. It surely is impractical.

and inspections are mandated or enforceable in many states, just not an immediate inspection at the time of the work.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Electrical Inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post

The word semi truck that will get inspected anytime and every year the DOT will go thru with it with fine comb to make sure the commercal vechile is legal to drive on the road.

How do I know this ?? I own couple commercal sized truck one is a bucket truck which it is on Commercal truck catorgy and I do get it inspected every year and the LEO { Law Enforecement Officer } will make a spot inspection as need to and of course I have CDL { International verison due I go between Wisconsin and Paris France pretty often } so there is a bunch of rules I have to follow just like NEC code plus state codes as well.

Quote:

The house inspection is a good way to show the house electrical or plumming or HVAC system or buliding sturcture is meet the current codes so the inspector will check it out to make sure it is legit.

The Homeowner can do it own wiring in it own home if the state do allowed but the Apartment or condo that have to be done by Electrician.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Electrical Inspections

It sure is interesting. I know that inspections for commercial vehicles are required in most places on a periodic basis, but in many jurisdictions you can do your own work on your own rig and then carry on until your next inspection date.

Even simple things like replacing tires which can be incredibly dangerous if done wrong, just like many home renovation processes. If a tire is put back on poorly the problem may not manifest until a week later when you are on the highway and it comes off or disentigrates what have you.

I'm just saying it is rather weird that laws don't spell out anything near as much for a DIY mechanic as they do for the home owner. The potential problems one can cause oneself are huge, think about suddenly losing power brakes or power steering while on a winding highway, or a sudden engine seizure, snapped tie rod etc etc.

And I personally know a few of semi-truck drivers who do a lot of their own maintenance without any inspection process up until the next scheduled inspection, ditto cab drivers and the like. Jurisdiction dependent sure, but there is no argument that car owners get a lot more leeway for DIY then home owners.

Based on the danger of the two, I think that they both should be regulated, but cars much much more so since poor workmanship endangers others much more so with cars then with homes.
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,022

Electrical Inspections

Pennsylvania has mandatory 1-year safety inspections for all vehicles (unsure period for commercial but I think the same) brakes, lights, wipers, horn, seat belts, suspension, windshield glass, mirrors, tires, etc and emissions. It used to be every 6 months.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote