Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electrical help please

We had a light bulb explode in a fixture in our bathroom last night. What might cause this? My son had just finished a very hot shower and the room was very steamy. Also, the fixture is old and one of the other sockets is loose and it is difficult to tighten up the bulbs in it.

JamesNagy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

electrical help please

If the fixture has a bulb that is exposed as opposed to one encapsulated in a dome, then it may have been the condensation on the glass that did it. The bulb would have to have been really hot and the condensation from the shower developed on the bulb causing the glass to expand/contract at different rates and breaking it. Even glass that is designed for high temp. use can have this happen if a small concentrated heat source is applied. For example, I took a 9 inch Pyrex baking dish that had a bunch of baked on crud, filled it with water and put it on my burner. About 10 minutes or so later I had hundreds of tiny Pyrex shards all over my kitchen.
Solution: open a window or turn on the exhaust fan (if you have one).

P.s. All of this is an educated guess, but I'll bet I'm not too far off. Unless your light all of the sudden got 240 volts. But I doubt it.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Sparrky

Rewards Points: 75

electrical help please

#1...get that light replaced..period..I get our bathroom steamier than a Turkish frickin' bath and there is never a safety prmblem
you have an electrical problem...thats the facts

that light is an fire hazard / /job number one for the electrcian..

#2 . . . .replace or install a bathroom exhaust fan that will exhaust to the exterior of your house NOT into attic . . .all that moisture will end up creating a much wrose nuisance...black mold

so...rpelace the light install proper sized exhaust fan..ducted to the exterior . . .qustions? be happy to help won4thewoad@yahoo.com
Kingsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote