Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electrical Help Needed

I have two questions:
Question #1. We added an addition to our home and installed AFCI circuits throughout all the new addition. A subpanel box was added to accommodate the new addition. When using the treadmill (on the loft--one of the new additions), the loft vibrates a little and blows not only the circuit that it's plugged into but several adjacent circuits. Our electrician claims that the AFCI breakers are too sensitivity or that our treadmill is causing the problem. However, when the treadmill is plugged into the other part of the house (not the new addition) it works just fine. Your suggestions/recommendations are sincerely appreciated.

Question #2. The plug on our new patio is protected by a GFI outlet on an AFCI circuit but the circuit frequently blows at the circuit box rather than at the GFCI outlet (which is connected to the new subpanel box). This only occurs when we start up a power tool such as a miter saw or a circular saw, and after resetting the circuit, it usually works fine. Bundles of thanks for your suggestions/recommendations.

Last edited by Mililani; 10-12-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Change Subject to: GFI Outlets, AFCI Circuits & Subpanel Box
Mililani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Electrical Help Needed

AFCI = junk.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Electrician

Electrical Help Needed

if you happen to be in Canada remove all those AFCI, the only ones you need are the beedrooms. In the USA I beleive most circuits require an AFCI.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #4

Electrical Help Needed

Thanks for the two responses. I live in the U.S., but does this mean I'm just 'hosed' and have to live with the problems? Or is the alternative: Find out what the rules are here in the US and switch out the AFCI circuit if they are not required.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Electrical Help Needed

What brand name the AFCI breakers are ?? due some early models have issue the later one is better.

But unforeally you have no choice but follow the state and local codes if they do required AFCI protection.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #6

Electrical Help Needed

It says, "Eaton Cutler-Hammer," and I believe it's the latest one.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #7

Electrical Help Needed

I spoke with the electrical inspector, and unfortunately, there is no solution to resolve this problem right now. He informed me they are having some problems with the AFCI circuit breakers (and received numerous compliants) because they are too sensitive. But they're still code.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Electrical Help Needed

If you talk to the breaker manufacter { ClutterHammer } maybe they can come up a soluation and they want to heard if you have issue with AFCI breaker and I know I did have a issue before and I did contact them and they send me a new one with revised calberation on it.

So it don't hurt to try to talk to the manufacter I am pretty sure they are instering to slove the issue.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #9

Electrical Help Needed

Thanks, I will do that and let you know the outcome.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
Chicago, IL

Electrical Help Needed

I had a situation where an AFCI would trip only when a relatively heavy load was applied, the cause turned out to that the circuit's grounded (neutral) conductor was connected to the grounded conductor of another circuit at in intermediate junction box. I was never able to find a reasonable explanation for why this behavior only occurred under heavier loads, but once the circuit had a dedicated neutral, the problem disappeared.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #11

Electrical Help Needed

Well, thank you, Mike. When my husband returns from his business trip, I'll pass on this info and will let you know how it turns out.