Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical help

Hi I have a consumer unit that keeps tripping the main breaker even when there arnt any circuit on. Does anyone have any suggestions what it could be

Last edited by Dale smith; 07-15-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Dale smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Electrical help

He is speaking English. Unfortunately it seems to be the Queens English, not North American English.

The consumer unit is a panel. I've seen them as a sub panel for a flat or apartment. But he might be talking about a main for a house.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Electrical help

If they are tripping the main breaker, they have serious issues that they need to have a professional licensed electrician come in and look at the system.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Electrical help

I have an electrician rewiring my house and he isn't sure what the problem is he has put be cables in for the sockets but they are not wired into the consumer unit ( panel) and the main rcd just trips do you know what it could be please
Dale smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

Electrical help

If your "electrician" can't figure it out, you need a new electrician.

Last edited by Oso954; 07-15-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (07-16-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Electrical help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale smith View Post
I have an electrician rewiring my house and he isn't sure what the problem is he has put be cables in for the sockets but they are not wired into the consumer unit ( panel) and the main rcd just trips do you know what it could be please
Find another Electrician. And no, none of us would know, because we are not physically there, and you are only giving information in bits and pieces, as if you are sending a message by Text Messaging, or using Twitter.

Helps if you give out more detailed information as to how this started, what the electrician did to cause this problem, what kind of changes they did to cause the problem. Then tell them they are fired, and hire a competent licensed professional electrician that knows what they are doing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Electrical help

Quote:
When does it trip? Can you turn it on and it will hold ? Does it take time to trip?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Electrical Enthusiast

Electrical help

Is this one of those special RCD main breakers?

I agree with the above comments...if you've got nothing connected in the consumer unit there is no reason for it to trip....
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Electrical help

Quote:
The way I read sound like you have unqualifed electrician try to do that work.

Have that electrician updated to the 17th edition ( British Codes ) ?

The main RCD trip which tell me that the system is not being wired properly espcally with crossed connection.

The biggest bugger you will hate is combation of old colour standard and new colour standard and if not aware what is going on that why the main RCD is tripping without load on it.

Get someone else who is more qualifed to do this.

And tell that new electrician to megger ( PAT testing ) the whole thing I am not suprised that you have mixed bag or radial and ring circuit in that place.

Merci,
Marc

French Master Electrician.

gregzoll (07-16-2013)