Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Electrical DIY book recommendation

If DIY and electricity aren't an oxymoron, does anyone have a recommendation for a DIY book that would help me wire my as yet, unfinished basement.

Thankfully, I saw the sticky on the recalled books. I had one of them, returned it and am now looking for replacement.

Thanks,
Rick

upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Personally, I don't learn well from books, I am sure there are good ones out there (and I'm sure you'll get good recommendations here). I learn better by just reading other people's questions on forums like these and asking my own.

Do you have any specific questions or are you not at that point yet?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #3

When I pulled a permit to include wiring my basement, the inspector recommened that I get the "Dewalt Electrical Code Reference with 2008 Code Changes" and "Code Check".

I would describe the Dewalt book as NEC Electrical Code Cliff Notes. Its a thin book, but loaded with the most common things a DIYer needs to know about the Electrical code.

If you don't know how to use a wire nut, then you need something more than this Dewalt book.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

There's an excellent book sold at Home Depot. It's called Wiring Simplified and is only about $7.00. In my local store it isn't with all the other DIY books - it's in the electrical section of the store. Code Check books are also pretty good.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a reasonable understanding of electrical systems and wire sizes etc. I've replaced switches, receptacles, fans, lights etc but have never run a circuit.

Specifically, I need help designing all of the circuits for all of the above and then I can run the appropriate wires back to the panel - where I will have someone else tie it in. I believe that I can install & wire up all of the switches, outlets etc.

I'll check out some of the books you recommended - hope this helps clarify my plight a little.
Rick
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote