Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

electrical dilemma

Need help how to wire 2 dual 3 way switches. when im in the house i want to turn on the light outside on the upper half of the switch ,and on the same switch on the lower half ,turn on or off the light in the porch. So when im in the porch,on the upper half of the 3 way switch i want to turn on or off the light in the porch and on the lower half of the same switch i want to control a receptacle outside. If anyone can help would be appreciated thx Marc

keanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

electrical dilemma

I am not sure that you need dual, three-way switches. Or, if you do, whether they are even available. It sounds as if your only three way application is with the porch light.

Do you know what wires exist between the existing switch boxes? Are you prepared to add wires? Do you know where is you source of power?

Also, I find it more difficult to read when you omit punctuation and capitalization.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

electrical dilemma

Sounds like the combo bottom switch has to turn the outlet and the light on or off at the same time independent of the 3 way. I don't care about the English this is not an English forum it's a diy forum. Most people can get what th OP is referring to. Hope I didn;t fail my writing test.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

electrical dilemma

Quote:
Sounds like the combo bottom switch has to turn the outlet and the light on or off at the same time independent of the 3 way.
It sounds as if your understanding of his request is different than mine. Perhaps English is important after all. Or perhaps I am just don't want to work hard enough to try to understand it.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

electrical dilemma

Sorry for the confusion,ill try this again. I have two 3 way switchs. One inside the house ill call A switch. The outside (porch) 3 way switch ill call B switch.
Both A and B 3 way switchs have 2 toggles each.
The power 14/2 comes into the A switch. I Ran a 14/3wire from A two B Switch.
The A switch (upper toggle) will turn on and off porch light (hence your 3 way) and the lower togle will control the light outside.
The B switch (upper toggle)will turn on and off porch light (hence 3 way switch. The lower toggle will turn on and off a receptacle outside for my car to plug into for the winter.
And also both the switchs have tabs in the back i can pull out if need be.
I hope this clarifies a bit.Im not a electrician so i dont know the proper lingo. I downloaded a pic of the 3 way switch .Thx Marc electrical dilemma-oct-2010-298.jpg
keanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

electrical dilemma

I see the request the same way as oberkc. He doesn't need a double 3-way (though, they do exist)

Inside switch (dual 3-way/SP)
Top (SP): Outside Light
Bottom (3W): Porch Light

Outside Switch (dual 3-way/SP)
Top (3W): Porch Light
Bottom (SP): Outlet

No this is not an English forum, but proper grammar is helpful - particularly when trying to describe 3-way applications.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
I=E/R

electrical dilemma

I think you will have to add some more information.
Does the outlet you want to switch have live power now?
Do either of the lights have live power or will they get their power from the switch circuit?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

electrical dilemma

We need a lot more info. Tell us about the cables between the switches and the lights and the the receptacle.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #9

electrical dilemma

keanna,

It sounds as if you have established a few key points:

a. power comes to switch box A. Good. That is useful.
b. you have a red/black/white wire between box A and B. Great! You will need it.

There are a few other things that are important to know:

a. from which switch box is there a wire to the porch light?
b. is there currently a wire from either switch box to your outlet?
c. from which switch box is there a wire to the outside light?
d. is there power to switch box B, the outlet, the porch light, or the outside light?

I believe if you can answer these questions, the fine folks here can point you in the right direction.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #10

electrical dilemma

A. Switch inside House if you have wires already in the switch box to the porch light use the lower toggle to feed and control the porch light from the 14/2.

If not you have to run 14/2 to the porch light from Switch A.lower toggle.

B Switch outside porch you need to break off tab(hot side) and run power to the lower toggle hot side through the switch to control the receptacle.

Wait for more answers I am sure they are to follow .
Please forgive the English.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #11

electrical dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I see the request the same way as oberkc. He doesn't need a double 3-way (though, they do exist)

Inside switch (dual 3-way/SP)
Top (SP): Outside Light
Bottom (3W): Porch Light

Outside Switch (dual 3-way/SP)
Top (3W): Porch Light
Bottom (SP): Outlet

No this is not an English forum, but proper grammar is helpful - particularly when trying to describe 3-way applications.
He does need a double 3 way for what he wants to do. As far as the English goes, I just meant thousands of people are on line and not all of them are book smart we all do the best we can and try to help and save money and it just didn't sound right that's all I am saying. If he didn't understand the Op maybe he should have asked a couple questions to clarify or move on not attack the persons English. One more note to you I was not talking to you, no comments needed.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #12

electrical dilemma

Quote:
He does need a double 3 way for what he wants to do
I see the request as does secutanudu. The outside light and outlet appear only to be controlled from a single location...no three way required. The only device controlled from two locations (thus, the need for three-way switch) is the porch light.

While a double three-way could be made to work, it is not required as I understand the needs of the OP. Hopefully, the OP will provide the needed clarification and confirmation.

Quote:
As far as the English goes, I just meant thousands of people are on line and not all of them are book smart we all do the best we can and try to help and save money and it just didn't sound right that's all I am saying.
I tried to be careful about my original post to NOT attack. I only made a comment about my own abilities and how I personally find it difficult to read posts without punctuation and capitalization. (I had noticed that this post was not recieving the normally prompt replies I see on this forum and suspected that the writing style was partially to blame.) I made this observation in the hope that those who read it might consider the possibility that care in writing may get better and faster responses.

But maybe you are correct. Perhaps I just should not have tried to help and just moved on. It certainly would have been a whole lot easier.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #13

electrical dilemma

Sorry if I stated it wrong it is two 3 way switches with single pole switch combination both fit in a regular size switch box. They cost about 12.00 from big orange store and range in different prices.

When I stated double 3 way I meant 2 -3 way combination switches with a single pole switch.

English again

Last edited by COLDIRON; 11-15-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: changed wording.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #14

electrical dilemma

Quote:
When I stated double 3 way I meant 2 -3 way combination switches with a single pole switch
I tend not to use the terms "single pole", "double pole" etc. I suspect this is often the cause of communication problems in the electric world of DIYChatroom. Instead, I use the term "normal" as opposed to "three-way" (for the record, I am sure curious where the term "three-way" originated...I would think this instead that this should be called a "two-way").

I am hoping that the smart folks can confirm or correct me on this, but nearly all of our switches, whether three-way or "normal", are single pole. As I understand the definitions from my formal education a long time ago, three-way switches are "single pole/double throw" or SPDT. Normal switches (as I think of them) are single pole/single throw" or SPST.

Based on my terminology, the OP would require a two combo switches with one on each switch being three-way, and the other normal. However, if both were three-way, we could make it work by choosing to leave one terminal without a connection.

Hopefully, keanna is able to get his problem solved as I go on rambling about trivia.

Last edited by oberkc; 11-15-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
I=E/R

electrical dilemma

Gee, you forgot DPDT or 4-way
Every industry has its related terminology and you just have to use it. 3-way probably relates more to the circuit than the switch because you have off and two possible on states, hence 3-way. Of course that gets screwed up when you have two 3-ways and two 4-ways

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote