Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |

electrical connections question

I have a new lakefront home that has a wire stubbed into a junction box for "future dock lighting" in the crawl space. I am now connecting this to a GFI plug on the shore near the dock. My issue is that the wire stubbed into the box has 4 wires in it....red, black, white and plain copper. The wire heading out to the lake has three wires in it...black, white and plain copper. The wire in the box has "red to switch" and "black hot" written on it by the electrician who installed it. It is a weekend and I cannot get ahold of the electrician to ask him. Can you help me. I am thinking the dock lighting is supposed to be operated by two switches...one in the garage and one in the house. (3-way??) Thank you.

scottbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

You would know more about this than any of us, but black is probably constant hot, and red is fed from a switch

Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

That or it was possible that the run was originally meant for a 240vac sub panel, then someone changed their mind along the way.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbu View Post
I have a new lakefront home that has a wire stubbed into a junction box for "future dock lighting" in the crawl space. I am now connecting this to a GFI plug on the shore near the dock. My issue is that the wire stubbed into the box has 4 wires in it....red, black, white and plain copper. The wire heading out to the lake has three wires in it...black, white and plain copper. The wire in the box has "red to switch" and "black hot" written on it by the electrician who installed it. It is a weekend and I cannot get ahold of the electrician to ask him. Can you help me. I am thinking the dock lighting is supposed to be operated by two switches...one in the garage and one in the house. (3-way??) Thank you.
I'm thinking black and white = constant hot. Red and white = switched controlled. Easily checked with a voltage tester.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

From the labels, it certainly sounds like the red wire is switched power for a light. You'd have to figure out where the switch is in your house! A three-way switch would be good, but you do not have enough wires to do that. You would need another wire to go between the switch in the house and the switch at the dock. There is a way you could still achieve the same result by using a relay, though.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbu View Post
I have done this before so therefore what the electrician did have two type of source one is switched ( the red wire that is controlled by a switch inside or outside of the house ) while second choice is constant hot which that mean unswitched source.

The reason why that electrician did that in first place in case you want unswitched at first but change the mind to switched verison or the otherway around so easy to do this real quick without tearing into the switch box inside the house.

But only sticky issue what the electrician done that part I do not know why but due he ran XX-2 conductor ( is this in the conduit or direct burial UF cable that will make the differnce ) if that was moi I just run in the conduit so can have it both way.

Merci,
Marc